You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-14 04:12:28

passbe
Website

[SOLVED] Gnome Window Movement Lag

First up my first installation of Arch, and loving it. I have a fairly beasty system, Core i7, 6gig tripple channel ddr3 ram, nvidia 9800gt (1gig ddr3) etc.. This is the first distribution that i feel has allowed me to get real performance, however just in the last day or so i have been noticing that moving windows in gnome lags a lot. I'm using the latest gnome and metacity, with the latest nvidia driver.

I have checked the Xorg.conf to make sure nvidia is actually being loaded. I am not running compiz or any desktop effects. When the computer first boots up the system seems fine, but after 30 seconds or so (it doesn't matter what type of window) it will lag when i try to move it.

If anyone has any ideas on what might be causing such an issue, your help would be appreciated.

passbe

note: i am running a dual screen system, but i dont think this should be affecting anything.

edit: the nvidia driver installer did complain about one detail, im not sure of its relevance

-> Running runtime sanity check:
WARNING: Unable to perform the runtime configuration check for library
         'libGL.so.1' ('/usr/lib/libGL.so.180.29'); assuming successful
         installation.
-> done.

Last edited by passbe (2009-03-15 05:04:27)

#2 2009-03-15 05:04:06

passbe
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome Window Movement Lag

I have solved my problem with a bit of trial and error, turns out compositing was causing the lag. I edited xorg.conf to disable it and the lag has disappeared.

Board footer