You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-08 21:45:45

kandrews

wmii issue: 'nil' tag on startup

When I start wmii, the default tag is 'nil' but I remember that it used to be 1. Maybe this happened in 3.6, but I'm not sure. Is this the correct behavior for the repository wmii? Here is a link to my wmiirc: http://pastie.org/411139

#2 2009-03-08 21:51:35

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: wmii issue: 'nil' tag on startup

I see the same thing. It only stays until you open a new window. wmii actually removes all tags that currently do not contain any windows. On boot, you obviously don't have any windows which is why the tag is named nil

I wouldn't know if it was different in earlier versions as I just started using wmii.

On a related note: have you been able to define shortcuts for starting some apps? How did you do it?

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-03-08 21:53:28)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2009-03-08 22:06:53

kandrews

Thanks lnxsible. I was sure I had messed something up in my wmiirc. It seemed odd to have windows default to the nil tab on startup.

Inxsible wrote:

On a related note: have you been able to define shortcuts for starting some apps? How did you do it?

I've added some keybindings to my wmiirc above for increasing/decreasing/muting the volume. I'm pretty sure you could use the same method to start firefox, etc. I've also got a handful of simple action scripts to change the wallpaper, connect to my wireless networks, shutdown and reboot, take screenshots, and generate whitenoise that I see when I press mod-a.

#4 2009-03-08 22:55:49

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

kandrews wrote:

Thanks lnxsible. I was sure I had messed something up in my wmiirc. It seemed odd to have windows default to the nil tab on startup.

Inxsible wrote:

I've added some keybindings to my wmiirc above for increasing/decreasing/muting the volume. I'm pretty sure you could use the same method to start firefox, etc. I've also got a handful of simple action scripts to change the wallpaper, connect to my wireless networks, shutdown and reboot, take screenshots, and generate whitenoise that I see when I press mod-a.

Can you give me couple of examples from your wmiirc?

Also, I am not happy with the trayer app in wmii and dwm. I use stalonetray in Openbox, but in wmii or dwm, it only shows up on the tag that i created it on. Also it keeps blinking and overall is not as steady with it showing me time and date sometimes. I guess that's probably because wmii and dwm use xsetroot to display status and somehow stalonetray is also getting that info.

What tray do you use?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#5 2009-03-09 00:39:12

kandrews

Key $MODKEY-i
        amixer -q set Master 5%+ 
    Key $MODKEY-o
        amixer -q set Master 5%- 
    Key $MODKEY-u
        amixer -q set Master toggle

Here is how I got control of volume by keybindings in my wmiirc. You can just add these to the bottom of #keybindings section just before that for loop with the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9. Make sure you use tabbed indentation and not spaces. I was having this problem for the longest time.

#6 2009-03-09 02:35:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Thanks kandrews. I wil add a few shortcuts and see how they work.

Is there anyway to have all windows leave a margin of 12px on the top, so I can view my 1 line conky even if I have windows open?

Forum Rules

#7 2009-03-09 03:57:57

kandrews

Sorry, I can't help you with conky or trayer. I don't use either. I just use a basic wmii statusbar with system temps, battery status and date. Maybe look into dzen or sswriter? You also might be able to do more advanced stuff with wmii-lua or wmii-ruby. Good luck.

#8 2009-03-11 20:31:58

andr3as

Have you solved your problem yet? When I still used wmii (I switched to e17 once again) I defined some tagrules, for example one that automatically added the tags "web" and "com" to kopete. But if then I started kopete before any other app it would have the tags "nil", "web" and "com".
I never found a solution, but sucessfully  managed to ignore the problem smile

#9 2009-03-11 21:46:59

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

andr3as wrote:

Have you solved your problem yet? When I still used wmii (I switched to e17 once again) I defined some tagrules, for example one that automatically added the tags "web" and "com" to kopete. But if then I started kopete before any other app it would have the tags "nil", "web" and "com".
I never found a solution, but sucessfully  managed to ignore the problem smile

Nope I havent been able to define tag rules just yet. But that is also because I have been playing around with dwm more than wmii.

Forum Rules

#10 2009-03-11 21:50:18

kandrews

Nope. I'm still in the same boat. All I can think is that either the authors thought adding the first application to the 'nil' tag was a good idea, or I made a mistake with my tagging rules. Here are mine:

# Tagging Rules
wmiir write /tagrules <<!
/Firefox.*/ -> ~
/MPlayer.*/ -> ~
/gnome-mplayer.*/ -> ~
/Gimp.*/ -> ~
/anki.*/ -> ~
/.*/ -> sel

!

edit: I tried adding /.*/ -> 1 to the end of the tagging rules and it didn't do anything. Then I deleted everything save the last two lines. Now it works like it used to. I got tired of typing MOD+t m versus MOD-3, so I just use numbers now anyway.

Last edited by kandrews (2009-03-11 23:48:06)

#11 2009-03-16 03:04:35

Xenokite
Website

Hey guys!!!

I am also looking to run wmii in my Arch. I guess I have the same thing as Kandrews, after i type startx i get a small bar at the bottom with time date and "nil" in the far left of the bar. I have fire-fox, dmenu, urxvt and I guess I'm just looking for a why to run these apps. I do not get the whole mod and tagging yet.

Registered Linux user :#500622
"être fort pour être utile" (be strong to be useful) —Georges Hébert
"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

#12 2009-03-16 03:42:47

kandrews

Hey Xenokite!

Check out the wiki page for wmii: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wmii

I added some stuff about tagging to Inxsible's fine work.

#13 2009-03-16 12:17:38

Xenokite
Website

kandrews wrote:

Hey Xenokite!

Check out the wiki page for wmii: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wmii

I added some stuff about tagging to Inxsible's fine work.

Sweet thanks a lot i take a look at it.:D:D

Registered Linux user :#500622
"être fort pour être utile" (be strong to be useful) —Georges Hébert
"There is only Good people and Bad people, we should not be judged by Race, religion or sex but we should be judged by our deeds or actions." - Lindsey Irving
Xenokite aka Lycan

Board footer