You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-01 09:06:06

slughappy1

Several problems with newly installed Arch with XFCE4

I just got my installation of Arch installed, and it works pretty well. I have several problems/questions though.

I have several icons that will not come up. In the bottom left corner ( I think its the Quick launch bar ) the Command Prompt and Editor's icons are just blank. Also when I click on the menu the Settings, Accessories, Multimedia, Office, and System icons are just a paper with an X in them. There are also programs in those sections that are just plain missing the icons as well.

How exactly am I supposed to change the Themes? I'm used to Gnome where it is one manager for it all.

I installed firefox using "pacman -S firefox", but when it loads it says it is Gran Paradiso. It says it is version 3.0.8, just like the current firefox. For example though, when I load my home screen www.google.com/ig it says in the chat window that my browser is currently not supported.

Also, when I log in I get an error message

Could not look up internet address for myhost.
This will prevent XFCE from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
myhost to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

Then two buttons "Continue anyway" and "Try again". The try again does nothing and when I click continue it logs in and I am connected to the internet already.

If anyone could help me with these it would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2009-04-01 10:17:02

rocket

Re: Several problems with newly installed Arch with XFCE4

The problem of the icons installing the tango-icon-theme solved the problem (still some icons don't appear, but the editor have the correct icon).

The themes all the other options can be changed in the settings-manager (themes in Appearence).

About firefox you can have an explanation were:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firefox

The error that appears in log in is motivated by myhost not being in the /etc/hosts. In my /etc/hosts I only have localhost and probably hapens the same with you, but in /etc/rc.conf the variable: HOSTNAME="myhost" if you change to HOSTNAME="localhost" you solve the problem. What I want to say is that the variable hostname must have one hostname that is defined in the /etc/hosts in order to xfce start without that error.

#3 2009-04-01 10:57:27

adamlau

Gran Paradiso is Firefox without the internal  branding. Think Ice Weasel, or Shiretoko (Firefox 3.1 Beta 3). Add your hostname to /etc/hosts as such (assuming your hostname is "ArchLinux"):

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost ArchLinux

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#4 2009-04-01 18:37:01

slughappy1

Thank you for all that. About themes, is there any way to install new themes? In Gnome Appearance Preferences there is an Install button...

#5 2009-04-01 20:00:17

adamlau

Install theme files in the appropriate directory. You may have to restart X afterwards. It has been a while since I used Xfce (why when there is JWM?), browse around your filesystem (look for Rodent, or Tango) for the appropriate location.

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

Board footer