You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-18 05:39:13

jeremyrainman

HAL seems to have broken after update. (SOLVED)

I'm not sure what happened, but after updating arch recently CD's, DVD's, and USB drives/sticks are not available. They "seem" to mount themselves as before, as they show up in gnome, but they are inacessible, clicking on any icon for them brings nothing up.

Sorry for the cryptic nature of this post, I'm not even sure where to begin looking in the logs for whatever error/warning might point me in the right direction. Can someone kindly tell me what I should be checking to resolve this? Thanks!

Last edited by jeremyrainman (2009-04-18 15:32:26)

#2 2009-04-18 07:17:31

bwalk

Re: HAL seems to have broken after update. (SOLVED)

It's a problem with policykit. In Authorizations under org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed in implicit authorizations, you should choose 'Yes' for the active console. Unfortunatly, the dialog is somehow broken and the values can't be changed.

I solved this by editing /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy to the values above.

#3 2009-04-18 08:07:21

toad
Website

Might also be worth checking any error messages when starting hal manually - that helped me smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#4 2009-04-18 12:48:36

Raccoon1400

Reinstall hal. That has solved issues like this before for me.

Fustrated Windows users have two options.
1. Resort to the throwing of computers out of windows.
2. Resort to the throwing of windows out of computers.

#5 2009-04-18 14:52:38

jeremyrainman

bwalk wrote:

It's a problem with policykit. In Authorizations under org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed in implicit authorizations, you should choose 'Yes' for the active console. Unfortunatly, the dialog is somehow broken and the values can't be changed.

I solved this by editing /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy to the values above.

my /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.freedesktop.hal.storage.policy has no 'authorizations' or 'implicit authorizations' under either *.mount-fixed or *.mount-removable, or any other heading for that matter. Did I miss an install step?

I did try reinstalling (several times), no help. I did try starting HAL manually and looking for error messages, there were none.

Also, I discovered the drives are not actually mounting. i.e., I cannot list their directories under /media and see anything. They appear in gnome, but they are not actually mounting. methinks this problem is deeper than I thought.

#6 2009-04-18 15:14:31

jeremyrainman

Using a:
$ hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes

I get lots and lots and lots of verbage. HAL is running fine apparently, as it's monitoring my UPS just fine

Here's what I get when I try to open a USB drive that is attached and has an icon in gnome:

08:06:21.680 [W] ci-tracker.c:366: Error doing GetSessionForUnixProcess on ConsoleKit: org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.GeneralError: Unable to lookup session information for process '9060'                                                                                                   
08:06:21.680 [i] hald_dbus.c:5176: OK for method 'Mount' with signature 'ssas' on interface 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume' for UDI '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_9C24133024130CC0' and execpath 'hal-storage-mount'                                                              
08:06:21.680 [i] hald_dbus.c:4062: no need to enqueue                                                                                            
Run started hal-storage-mount (0) (1)                                                                                                            
!  full path is '/usr/lib/hal/hal-storage-mount', program_dir is '/usr/lib/hal'                                                                  
9061: XYA attempting to get lock on /media/.hal-mtab-lock                                                                                        
9061: XYA got lock on /media/.hal-mtab-lock                                                                                                      
device                           = /dev/sdb1                                                                                                     
invoked by uid                   = 1000                                                                                                          
invoked by system bus connection = :1.193                                                                                                        
 label 'FreeAgent Drive'  uuid '9C24133024130CC0'                                                                                                
Looking at /etc/fstab entry 'none'                                                                                                               
/etc/fstab: device none -> none                                                                                                                  
Looking at /etc/fstab entry 'none'                                                                                                               
/etc/fstab: device none -> none                                                                                                                  
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/cdrom'                                                                                                         
/etc/fstab: device /dev/cdrom -> /dev/dev/cd/cdrom-6:0:0:0                                                                                       
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/dvd'                                                                                                           
/etc/fstab: device /dev/dvd -> /dev/dev/cd/dvd-6:0:0:0                                                                                           
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/fd0'                                                                                                           
/etc/fstab: device /dev/fd0 -> /dev/fd0                                                                                                          
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/sda1'                                                                                                          
/etc/fstab: device /dev/sda1 -> /dev/sda1                                                                                                        
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/sda2'                                                                                                          
/etc/fstab: device /dev/sda2 -> /dev/sda2                                                                                                        
Looking at /etc/fstab entry '/dev/sda3'                                                                                                          
/etc/fstab: device /dev/sda3 -> /dev/sda3                                                                                                        
mount_point    = 'FreeAgent Drive'                                                                                                               
mount_fstype   = ''                                                                                                                              
mount_options  = 'locale=LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8;LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8;LC_TIME=en_US.utf8;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8;LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8;LC_NAME=en_US.utf8;LC_ADDRESS=en_US.utf8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.utf8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.utf8     '
trying dir /media/FreeAgent Drive                                                                                                                
given_options[0] = 'locale=LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8;LC_NUMERIC=en_US.utf8;LC_TIME=en_US.utf8;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=en_US.utf8;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.utf8;LC_PAPER=en_US.utf8;LC_NAME=en_US.utf8;LC_ADDRESS=en_US.utf8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.utf8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.utf8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.utf8'   
allowed_options[0] = 'locale='                                                                                                                   
allowed_options[1] = 'dmask='                                                                                                                    
allowed_options[2] = 'fmask='                                                                                                                    
allowed_options[3] = 'ro'                                                                                                                        
allowed_options[4] = 'sync'                                                                                                                      
allowed_options[5] = 'dirsync'                                                                                                                   
allowed_options[6] = 'noatime'                                                                                                                   
allowed_options[7] = 'nodiratime'                                                                                                                
allowed_options[8] = 'noexec'                                                                                                                    
allowed_options[9] = 'quiet'                                                                                                                     
allowed_options[10] = 'remount'                                                                                                                  
allowed_options[11] = 'exec'                                                                                                                     
using action org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable for uid 1000, system_bus_connection :1.193                                              
08:06:21.695 [i] device.c:1894: Removing locks from ':1.195'                                                                                     
08:06:21.695 [i] device.c:1894: Removing locks from ':1.194'                                                                                     
pid 9061: rc=1 signaled=0: /usr/lib/hal/hal-storage-mount                                                                                        
08:06:21.696 [i] hald_dbus.c:4086: No more methods in queue                                                                                      
08:06:21.696 [i] hald_dbus.c:4149: failed with 'org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy' 'org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no <-- (action, result)'                                                                                                                        
08:06:21.696 [D] hotplug.c:453: events queued = 0, events in progress = 0                                                                        
08:06:21.696 [D] hotplug.c:458: Hotplug-queue empty now ... no hotplug events in progress                                                        
08:06:21.784 [i] device.c:1894: Removing locks from ':1.197'                                                                                     
08:06:21.788 [i] ci-tracker.c:212: Removing CICallerInfo object for :1.193                                                                       
08:06:21.788 [i] device.c:1894: Removing locks from ':1.193'                                                                                     
[9056]: 08:06:25.013 [i] addon-storage.c:354: Checking whether device /dev/sr0 is locked on HAL
[9056]: 08:06:25.013 [i] addon-storage.c:362: ... device /dev/sr0 is not locked on HAL
08:06:51.791 [i] device.c:1894: Removing locks from ':1.196'

I tried looking up org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.PermissionDeniedByPolicy and couldn't find anything. Any suggestions?

#7 2009-04-18 15:33:44

jeremyrainman

Silly me, I must have missed this section that was added to the wiki page when I went combing through it the other day.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HAL … ion_Denied

That fixed it.

Board footer