You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-23 13:07:49

PierreR

Tiling in a non-tiling manager

First, I am so sorry because I know this has been the subject of many thread. Still my question is pretty precise ...

What would be the best window manager to use if I need  some tiling functionality within a floating desktop environment ? Or alternatively what would be the best tiling wm if I really want a floating workspace.

I have minimum needs. Most of the time I just want to see everything in stack fullscreen.  But I really prefer tiling with terminals and emacs (specially when I use the speedbar).

I have been using xmonad for a while. I know I can tile window individually. I don't really know if xmonad supports floating the whole workspace because well ... I have been unable to register/unregister xmonad components after the latest ghc upgrade (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=69681).  From that point, I have decided to drop xmonad ...

So my needs are:
- minimum
- prefer a simple wm such as Openbox to a massive desktop environment
- no need for complicated tiling algorithms
- need for simple tiling per workspace
- most applications I use work better in a floating workspace

Hope I did not bother to many people with yet another tiling window manager thread.

Thanks

#2 2009-04-23 13:12:12

bangkok_manouel

Re: Tiling in a non-tiling manager

#3 2009-04-23 13:18:32

PierreR

Well I have tried to install stiler with yaourt and I have had a git timeout. I will try to download the script myself and use it but this is indeed a poor solution ...

#4 2009-04-23 14:09:46

HashBox

I was thinking about this recently. If you are still willing to give Xmonad another shot you can use my temporary solution of uninstalling xmonad and installing xmonad-darcs and xmonad-contrib-darcs from the aur.
Xmonad has XMonad.Layout.SimpleFloat which might be good enough for what you're after, if you set it as the default layout.

#5 2009-04-23 15:19:53

PierreR

Thanks HaskBox,

Does it work with the haskell-x11-darcs or the haskell-x11 ? I have an error while removing and trying to re-installing xmonad-darcs:

At least the following dependencies are missing:
X11 >=1.4.3

Well ...

#6 2009-04-23 15:42:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

you might also want to try musca or ratpoison or stumpwm.

Musca, by default, gives you a stacking frames and you can then tile certain frames manually by simply hitting Mod+h for horizontal and Mod+v for vertical tiles.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2009-04-23 17:00:35

brisbin33
Website

PierreR wrote:

Well I have tried to install stiler with yaourt and I have had a git timeout. I will try to download the script myself and use it but this is indeed a poor solution ...

i agree that stiler will suit you're needs.  you can download the version i use if you'd like.  it's one of the earlier versions w/o all the added features (filtering, ctrl+H/V, etc) that i don't use.  just adjust the paddings in the top section and try it out with `./manage.py simple`.

#8 2009-04-23 23:44:25

Marenz

Ion3 fully supports floating windows if you desire it. I sometimes used it for gimp but i have learned that esp. for gimp a fixed tiling layout is better big_smile

here the aur link: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=ion-3

--Marenz

Last edited by Marenz (2009-04-23 23:46:01)

#9 2009-04-24 01:29:49

Berticus

Ion sounded like it has everything I want, but the author just seems so pretentious I refuse to support his work.

#10 2009-04-24 02:26:21

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Another option, apart from stiler is wumwum. Its in AUR. See if that works for you

Last edited by Inxsible (2009-04-24 02:26:48)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#11 2009-04-24 07:24:20

essence-of-foo

I'd recommend WMII. It's mainly a tiling WM but it also handles floating windows well.
To change a window from floating to tiling mode you just have to press MOD+shift+space
Have a look at the wiki page

#12 2009-04-24 09:08:07

u_no_hu

brisbin33 wrote:
PierreR wrote:

i agree that stiler will suit you're needs.  you can download the version i use if you'd like.  it's one of the earlier versions w/o all the added features (filtering, ctrl+H/V, etc) that i don't use.  just adjust the paddings in the top section and try it out with `./manage.py simple`.

I haven't added any of those extra features to main branch, mainly because i like to keep it simple just like you said. They are in a separate branch named "grid" which has dual monitor support, grid layout, filtering etc.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#13 2009-04-24 14:51:56

brisbin33
Website

u_no_hu wrote:
brisbin33 wrote:
PierreR wrote:

I haven't added any of those extra features to main branch, mainly because i like to keep it simple just like you said. They are in a separate branch named "grid" which has dual monitor support, grid layout, filtering etc.

oh i see, sorry to misrepresent; i tried to download your main branch a few times to "update" but it never worked so always went back to my manage.py that was copied out of the forum thread way back when.

Board footer