You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-18 11:35:03

robrene

Gnome: Trouble with system-config-printer

Hello all

I have trouble setting up my printers using system-config-printer in Gnome... I added some screenshots to the bottom of this post. When I try to add the Generic CUPS-PDF printer, the "Next" button is disabled and I am not allowed to continue. When I try to add the HP printer that is on my home network (as recognised by the config) the application throws some sort of runtime error (in terminal) and doesn't update the screen or allow me to continue.

Before moving to Arch a few weeks ago, I used Ubuntu 8.04, and it had a very different application for configuring printers (although it was also called system-config-printer). Preferably, I'd just get that application back for configuring printers, it was much more intuitive and above all it actually worked.

I would like to know how to solve my problem of not being able to add the printers I want and how to get the Ubuntu printer config on Arch if that is possible at all.

Thanks

NUR87l.png NURZZl.png

error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5585, in on_tvNPDevices_cursor_changed
    physicaldevice.add_device (dev)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/PhysicalDevice.py", line 61, in add_device
    raise RuntimeError
RuntimeError

smile neutral sad big_smile yikes wink hmm tongue lol mad roll cool

#2 2009-04-18 12:20:24

IceHand
Website

Re: Gnome: Trouble with system-config-printer

As far as I remember Gnome's system-config-printer is deprecated, but I might be wrong. Try opening a browser and go to http://localhost:631/ that's what I use to configure my printer.

Last edited by IceHand (2009-04-18 12:20:49)

#3 2009-04-18 14:37:15

dbb
Website

Off-topic, but may I ask what theme that is?

#4 2009-04-18 16:12:57

robrene

@IceHand
Hmm.. It doesn't really make sense to me that I need a webbrowser to configure a printer, but I gave it a try. When I tried adding the CUPS-PDF printer, it asked me what brand it was in the second step. This can't be right. When I tried adding the HP printer that is on my network, it automatically selected the correct driver from a list, but when I chose to continue it asked me for a username and a password, and providing my own did not work. So this method failed for both printers. I would really love to get back the old configuration menu from Ubuntu at this point.

@dbb
The GTK theme is a personal modification of Fresh Dark that removes the Aurora style scrollbar, uses bigger icons and has nicer progress bars.
The font I use is Myriad Pro with slight hinting enabled.
The icon theme is my own mash-up of many tango-styled themes and a few custom icons and improved icons from other themes. You'll find icons there from gnome-colors, gnome-icon-theme, ubuntu-studio, and stuff found randomly on the internet and more. I'm not done perfectioning the theme though, but it's come a long way.

#5 2009-04-18 17:01:59

IceHand
Website

Have you tried gnome-cups-manager? I don't what else the configuration menu from Ubuntu could be. Also, it might help to have a look at the wiki.

#6 2009-04-18 18:25:52

robrene

I've tried gnome-cups-manager, no success. Thanks for the tip though. The configuration menu from Ubuntu was introduced in 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon), seen on a screenshot here. I believe it was also called with the command system-config-printer...
Also, I tried running system-config-printer as root, but it didn't change anything. So far, still no way to add printers for me

#7 2009-04-28 15:05:13

robrene

Alright, I managed to add my printer through the CUPS webinterface now, apparently I had to use root and the root-password instead of my own. However, I have another problem now. I can't seem to print still! The print button is greyed out at all times. What gives?

FCIz.png

#8 2009-04-28 18:25:03

mikkokan

Board footer