You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-07 08:26:55

cb474

X returns error: Failed to load module "freetype"

I'm configuring a new Arch system for the first time. Following the beginners guide in the wiki, I installed X and tested running in from the console. When I exit X I get this error:

(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exist, 0)
Warning: font renderer for ".ttf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".ttc" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".otf" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".otc" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pfa" already registered at priority 0
Warning: font renderer for ".pfb" already registered at priority 0
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/TTF, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
error setting MTRR (base = 0xe0000000, size = 0x10000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

The test of X seemed to go fine. I can move the hollow X around with the touchpad and trackpoint on my ThinkPad. But I got this error. I'm not even sure if that's all one error or multiple errors.

Should I be concerned about this? The only thing I could find that seemed to relevant was this bug report for Gentoo: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261934. But I don't know if this is really relevant to Arch or not.

#2 2009-04-10 08:07:40

havoc

Re: X returns error: Failed to load module "freetype"

I was not able to start X and got these message too today, turns out it's nothing to do with "freetype", it was because I changed my Awesome WM config file wrongly.
When I corrected the config, the X works again although the message "(EE) Failed to load module "freetype" " still exist. So there must be other problems with your system, maybe the display card driver or keyboard or mouse setup , or window manager config.

Last edited by havoc (2009-04-10 08:08:31)

#3 2009-04-10 08:17:18

thunderogg

This came with the latest update, at least for me, but I have Nvidia video. What I guess happened was that the new kernel was installed before the new nvidia driver, so the kernel module for the new driver was not compiled, while the old one was deleted when the new nvidia driver was installed. But I am just guessing. Anyway, I just reinstalled kernel26 and then I rebooted. Now it works for me.

Last edited by thunderogg (2009-04-10 08:18:44)

#4 2009-04-10 11:08:40

hokasch

The freetype module error was in my log since I first installed X, its not fatal and I think you can just ignore it. Same for the Warnings, and according this the  MTTR error is not fatal either.
For the fonts, you can try installing xorg-fonts-type1 and some ttf fonts, but I guess it would hardly make a difference.
If the test of X seems to be fine, do not be concerned and just try installing a WM! You should be allright.

#5 2009-05-07 03:27:53

karol
Archivist

cb474, are you been able to fix your problems? If so, please add [Solved] to the topic.
If you're still having problems, post them.

Board footer