You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-14 22:57:45

ftornell
Website

Need a couple of questions sorted out!

Hi,
I have been using Gnu/Linux for a few years now mostly at home with various distributions like Ubuntu and Fedora.
I moved over to Archlinux last summer and I was stunned by it's endless possibilities! smile

Have been trying to read as much from wiki as I can but there are some things I don't get:

I'm often switching between Openbox and Gnome and things like GTK2, emerald and compiz I don't get...

Really like this desktop: http://msart2k.deviantart.com/art/previ … 8-95536060

[ logicspot.NET | mempad.org ]
Archlinux x64

#2 2009-05-14 23:23:32

SamC
Website

Re: Need a couple of questions sorted out!

What exactly is your question? Do you want to know how to set them? How to get the ones in the screenshot?

#3 2009-05-14 23:54:27

haxit
Website

Why don't you ask him. I am on deviantart, and most of the linux modders/skinner are MORE than happy to help you with anything. All the info is in his shot anyways.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#4 2009-05-15 06:07:43

ftornell
Website

SamC wrote:

What exactly is your question? Do you want to know how to set them? How to get the ones in the screenshot?

Well, what are they, GTK2, emerald...are they engines or a framework of good-looking textures...

can one use gtk2 with emerald and compiz or are they the same?

Archlinux x64

#5 2009-05-15 07:23:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gnome is a desktop environment, KDE is another, XFCE another.

Compiz is a window manager, metacity (Gnome's default) is another, kwin is KDE's default.

OpenBox, FluxBox, all the boxes, are sort of like in between, and more modular. You can use OpenBox with Gnome, for example, though I haven't before.

Emerald is a window decorator. Metacity is both a window manager and decorator, but compiz doesn't do window decoration, so emerald does that. You can also use the metacity window decorator with compiz, AFAIK. At least, that's what I used to do in Ubuntu.

GTK2.... I'm not sure the word for it, but its a toolset for graphical programming I think. KDE uses QT, while Gnome and XFCE use GTK2.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-05-16 11:21:12

ftornell
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Gnome is a desktop environment, KDE is another, XFCE another.

Compiz is a window manager, metacity (Gnome's default) is another, kwin is KDE's default.

OpenBox, FluxBox, all the boxes, are sort of like in between, and more modular. You can use OpenBox with Gnome, for example, though I haven't before.

Emerald is a window decorator. Metacity is both a window manager and decorator, but compiz doesn't do window decoration, so emerald does that. You can also use the metacity window decorator with compiz, AFAIK. At least, that's what I used to do in Ubuntu.

GTK2.... I'm not sure the word for it, but its a toolset for graphical programming I think. KDE uses QT, while Gnome and XFCE use GTK2.

Thx for the info, very informative.

Archlinux x64

Board footer