You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-17 00:47:59

DiffractedMemory

Custom DE?

While looking through a few XFCE threads, I ran across one with some information that struck me as the real "let's make this my own Arch!"  It said that, basically, the desktop environment was the window manager, panel, etc, and that you didn't have to stick with any specific DE (KDE, LXDE, XFCE) but that you could pick and choose your own.

The only thing I couldn't figure out (and am still looking for) is how to put all of these together, since you can only have one uncommented line in .xinitrc.  I have a window manager, panel app, and dock, but all I can get running right now with a xinit is the IceWM window manager.  I'd be looking to get the full package running (wm, dock, panel, etc) with xinit, not the WM, and have to start everything else up on its own.  I'd like to make a little package to get them all running, like LXDE or Gnome or KDE, but obviously that isn't explained in the Arch Beginner's guide.

I know there has to be a way to get this all running for beginners like me.

As well, it could be of use/help for crazy newbies like me to have this information somewhere they could quickly access it instead of paging through 350+ pages of DE threads?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-05-17 00:49:03

Zariel

Re: Custom DE?

Heres how to use xinitrc, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

Did you try reading the wiki?

#3 2009-05-17 00:51:06

DiffractedMemory

Re: Custom DE?

Ha, thanks, now I really feel like a newb!  Must be burned out from getting the system up and running finally!  Anyways, thanks again for the info!

Board footer