You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-10 18:50:07

kapz
Website

[SOLVED]Open Office Issue - Help

Hi I am having trouble with using Openoffice. I downloaded the version 3.0 and for few weeeks all worked fine for me. Then all of a sudden one day the icons in the toolbar(of any openoffice app) went missing as soon as I rolled my mouse over them. If I click on any of the menu-buttons on toolbar, all the fonts go missing too. Each icon is visible until I keep the mouse pointer over that particular icon.

I checked in tools-->option-->view any did various permutation/combination(like use system fonts, use default icon theme etc). I even reset them to defaults but the scenario simply wont change.

It happens only with the fonts and icons on the toolbar. The font in the body(like spreadsheet) is all fine.

I have tried reinstalling it and then upgrading it to version 3.1 but to no avail. Tried forums and google but couldnt find the solution to this problem.

I have a screenshot of it, which has no text and icons visible at all! in the whole toolbar GUI. But dont know how to attach it!

Last edited by kapz (2009-05-11 21:18:39)

I wonder how it would be like to use the rest 99% of my brain..:P

Registered Linux User: 487155

#2 2009-05-11 19:09:01

kapz
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Open Office Issue - Help

I feel I am not gonna b answered for this...! tongue

Last edited by kapz (2009-05-11 19:09:24)

#3 2009-05-11 20:04:29

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Did you try to delete the configuration folder? Most of the times it solves the problem.
If it doesn't then there is some interaction with another package that has been updated meanwhile.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#4 2009-05-11 21:18:11

kapz
Website

Problem solved! smile

The culprit is that damn GTK settings in KDE system settings and QT as well. Phew that took all the nerves in brain to wobble at the same time!

I also faced the problem with firefox due to GTK-KDE integration in system settings. Now it has reduced the rendering of buttons(I mean ugliness in rendering) to 95%...yep 5% of rendering prob is still visible, but its not pathetic as it was few hours ago big_smile. Chapter closed!

#5 2009-05-17 13:14:02

scarecrow

gtk-kde engine does have some annoying quirks.
As an alternatie I can suggest the universal qtcurve theme, which does look great and it's fully customizable. Alas, it's customizable only within KDE4 or KDE3, but it does not have a QT4/QT3/GTK standalone customizer. If it will get in the future a settings manager outside KDE, then gtk-qt engine could be safely buried.
For QT4 applications running under Gnome/GTK, there's absolutely no problem: From version 4.5, QT immitates the GTK+ looks theme just perfectly. All you have to do is running "qtconfig" and picking "gtk+" as theme.
Maybe GTK 3 will take care of the issue, but I don't have high hopes... GTK is trailing QT for more than half a decade, features and performance- wise.

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer