You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-19 15:31:39

berbae

A question on KDE functionality checks for Desktop effects

In System Settings/Desktop Effects/Advanced there is an option 'Disable functionality checks'.
When it is not checked, the transparency of the panel is not activated from the start of KDE, and sometimes the compositing option is deactivated automatically for the reason that the graphical components are too slow.
If I manually reactivate it with Shift-Alt-F12, it functions normally the rest of the day, though the transparency of the panel is still not there.

Now today I checked the 'Disable functionality checks', and everything seems to function normally, and the transparency of the panel is there without problems. So the machine seems perfectly able to run with its graphical components.

Does someone know what the functionality checks consist of, and what are the limits which are searched for by these checks ?

My machine :
Intel Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5200  @ 2.50GHz, with 4 GB ram
NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7100 / NVIDIA nForce 630i with 512 MB memory.

Last edited by berbae (2009-05-20 09:47:15)

#2 2009-05-20 03:56:50

Intrepid

Re: A question on KDE functionality checks for Desktop effects

It should not be a big deal.  Besides, you're running with 4GB ram.  I'd love that! Maybe your integrated GPU is the problem? (it is integrated right?)  Sorry, I do not know, but I myself am curious, as KDE requires far less than--say--Vista or Windows 7

Last edited by Intrepid (2009-05-20 03:57:29)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#3 2009-05-20 13:34:53

berbae

Re: A question on KDE functionality checks for Desktop effects

Thank you Intrepid for answering.

Yes it seems that kwin thinks that the graphical integrated chipset of my Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H motherboard is too slow for the full desktop effects of KDE.
But the performances of the graphical chipset are probably near the limits and so the desktop effects work nevertheless AFAICS.

The answers to my questions are surely in the kwin code sources, but presently I don't feel like studying that complicated matter by only looking to the sources.

If things get worse in the future, I surely will have to install a better graphical card using the PCI Express x16 slot on the motherboard.

Last edited by berbae (2009-05-20 13:35:27)

Board footer