You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-04 14:45:24

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

[SOLVED BY AN IDIOT] KDE4 leave menu options when not using KDM

This problem is more-or-less discussed in other threads, but I'd like to get a more precise answer on something.

(1) Recently I've been bypassing a login manager and starting KDE4 directly from boot*. Is this why I'm not getting the option to shut down or restart on my KDE "leave" menu?

(2) If this is what's going on, is there a way to put shut down and restart on my leave menu?

-------------
*I have this in my /etc/inittab:

x:45:once:/bin/su chas64 -l -c "/bin/bash --login -c startx >/dev/
null 2>&1"

And then this in my ~/.xinitrc:

DEFAULT SESSION=startkde

-------------

Thanks.

Last edited by dhave (2009-03-04 22:32:12)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2009-03-04 15:12:04

brazzmonkey

Re: [SOLVED BY AN IDIOT] KDE4 leave menu options when not using KDM

1) KDE has always behaved this way when started from a console session. So the answer is yes.
2) if you aim to automatically start your KDE session upon boot, without having to go through KDM, it's probably better to use the autologin feature (somewhere in KDE systemsettings - I'm not currently using KDE4 so I can't help you more on that at the moment). If not, sorry I can't help you on that one.

what goes up must come down

#3 2009-03-04 17:26:33

dhave

Thanks, brazzmonkey. I went ahead and activated kdm in my inittab, then set it to autologon. But I'm still not getting shutdown and restart as leave menu options, and I can't for the life of me find where to configure that.

Any suggestions? I don't remember having to fool with this when I used to use KDE regularly some time ago.

Donate to Arch!

#4 2009-03-04 21:01:13

signor_rossi

I recently passed from qingy to kdm because of policy-kit problems and also activated it through inittab and the shutdown/restart options are there now, so it is strange that you don't have them. Already tried with a clean kde config?
BTW, how did you set up kdm to autologon? KDM settings are greyed out in systemsettings for me...

#5 2009-03-04 21:04:21

Skripka

signor_rossi wrote:

I recently passed from qingy to kdm because of policy-kit problems and also activated it through inittab and the shutdown/restart options are there now, so it is strange that you don't have them. Already tried with a clean kde config?
BTW, how did you set up kdm to autologon? KDM settings are greyed out in systemsettings for me...

You must start sytemsettings from the console as root....I think they are going to add the GUI feature back in in 4.3

#6 2009-03-04 21:40:18

dhave

signor_rossi wrote:

Yes, I've tried a clean kde4 config, but I still don't get the shutdown and restart options on my Big K menu (I don't know what's it's supposed to be called, but I can't bear to call it a "start menu").

I think Skripka just answered this, but, yes, I open a terminal window and then do "sudo systemsettings".

Donate to Arch!

#7 2009-03-04 22:14:23

dhave

O.K., I think I just won the dumb-you-know-what of the week award.

I'll confess here, just in case it helps somebody else. roll

I changed from the new Kickoff K-menu to the classic K-menu, and I was happy to see the shutoff and restart options there along with logout.

Then, I switched right back to the Kickoff K-menu. I didn't see the shutoff and restart options.

I didn't see them -- but they were there, the whole time!

I just had to scroll down to the bottom of the Leave menu, beneath "Suspend to RAM" and "Suspend to disk".

Now, if I were designing this part of the interface, I think I would have put Shutdown and Restart just below Logout, but I guess since they're system commands and not session-specific commands, their placement beneath the Suspend options make sense. Sort of.

Man, what a numbskull! Sorry to waste people's time.

Last edited by dhave (2009-03-04 22:35:34)

Donate to Arch!

#8 2009-03-04 22:14:32

brazzmonkey

Ah, that's definitely weird. Have you tried this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … o_shutdown (although it shouldn't be needed with KDE...)

All I can think about is either a permission issue, or maybe something related to DBUS/HAL?... Is your user a member of the "power" group?

#9 2009-03-04 22:17:26

dhave

@brazzmonkey: See the (pretty embarassing) solution just above your post. You posted nine seconds after I did.

Last edited by dhave (2009-03-04 22:17:44)

Donate to Arch!

#10 2009-03-04 22:57:12

brazzmonkey

Glad you finally made it.
FYI there's a Lock/Logout plasma widget which can prevent you from scrolling wink

#11 2009-03-05 02:44:49

chair

Are you sure they were there? Un-checking "Offer shutdown options" in Session Manager will remove the options from the Kickoff menu. Maybe you enabled it when you switched menus.

#12 2009-03-05 06:10:02

dhave

chair wrote:

Are you sure they were there? Un-checking "Offer shutdown options" in Session Manager will remove the options from the Kickoff menu. Maybe you enabled it when you switched menus.

If you're trying to make me feel better, it's working. Still, I suspect they were there the whole time and I didn't see the scrollbar. This kind of thing happens to me a lot. I usually don't go public with it, though.

Donate to Arch!

#13 2009-03-05 07:32:39

signor_rossi

The first thing I do on a clean kde config is to expand the kickoff menu and make it bigger...
And I realized myself that I could use 'kdesu systemsettings' right before going to bed...
smile

#14 2009-05-22 16:51:27

Miss California

I start KDE4.2 the same was that the OP does and I am having the same probelmwhen I try to exit. I press the the KDE "button," followed by Leave, but I only see Logout, Lock, and Switch User. I would like to be able to restart or shutdown.

I have tried the different solutions in this forum thread, but nothing has worked yet. Does anybody have a suggestion, please?

Thank you very much.

Board footer