You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-03 13:50:51

The Avatar of Time

[SOLVED] Compiz-Fusion and mouse pointers

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble using Gnome with Compiz-Fusion and trying to use the Vienna 3 Rapture mouse theme, or any non-default theme for that matter. Said theme worked fine for me in Fluxbox, but since I started using Gnome/Compiz it isn't working right.

I have my TV as a dual monitor, and the Vienna pointer works fine on it. On my main monitor though I get the standard black cursor. I can change it to red or white glass, but I can't get Vienna or any other cursor to appear on the list of pointers to change too. My mouse does switch to Vienna in Google Earth, but that's the only app I've seen so far that it works in.

Sometimes when I start X the Vienna cursor will appear for a moment before being overridden and sometimes it goes straight from the 'X' pointer to the default Gnome pointer. Perhaps on those occasions it just happens to fast for me to see.

I found a tip on a forum (that I can't find now to link to unfortunately....) that mentioned adding 'xsetrroot -cursor_name something something' (sorry I can't remember the exact command) to ~/.xinitrc before gnome-session. That didn't help at all. One thing I wasn't sure of though is whether to actually type '-cursor_name' or whether I should type the name of my cursor. I know that sounds stupid but the tip on the forum said to type it EXACTLY as shown. Generally they make a note of saying 'use your real path instead' or something of the like. 

I have my mouse themes, several of them, not just this one, and all of which worked in Fluxbox, setting in ~/.icons but they don't show up in the list of cursors available. My Vienna cursor is still set apparently since it works on the TV, which is of course running Gnome/Compiz also.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong here? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2009-05-24 04:58:53)

#2 2008-12-04 03:22:45

The Avatar of Time

Re: [SOLVED] Compiz-Fusion and mouse pointers

I have a correction to make. It turns out that Vienna doesn't work fine on the TV either. It just works fine in oxine, regardless of the display it is on. I only ever use the TV with oxine, so I hadn't thought of that till now.

#3 2008-12-10 03:01:43

The Avatar of Time

While I haven't figured this out yet, oddly enough after a restart (which I have done before) the cursor is 'kind of' working. It shows on the desktop and on the window borders, but not IN apps like Firefox or Pidgin.

It does however still work in Oxine. So I'm at a loss as to what's wrong and why it suddenly started partially working. Any ideas any one?

***I also noticed that the cursor is working in the 'Appearance' window, as well as some other config windows like the one for avant window navigator. It works in 'calculator' on the buttons, but if I were to hover over the display then it reverts to the default cursor.

Last edited by The Avatar of Time (2008-12-10 03:09:13)

#4 2008-12-10 03:30:08

pauldonnelly

The Avatar of Time wrote:

I found a tip on a forum (that I can't find now to link to unfortunately....) that mentioned adding 'xsetrroot -cursor_name something something' (sorry I can't remember the exact command) to ~/.xinitrc before gnome-session. That didn't help at all. One thing I wasn't sure of though is whether to actually type '-cursor_name' or whether I should type the name of my cursor.

You would need to type "xsetroot -cursor_name" and then the name of the cursor, just like it says on the man page. Although I'm not sure it would help with your problem in this case.

#5 2009-05-24 04:58:02

The Avatar of Time

I just came back across this old thread and wanted to mark it solved. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I can install mouse cursors normally now and they work fine.

Board footer