You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-23 23:43:56

passbe
Website

stalonetray vs big icons

I have just made the switch from Gnome to openbox, and im begining to see why so many people use it. I have one problem though, i am using stalonetray, however it seems that the icons do not follow the set icon size. It is very random. I am launching stalonetray within xinitrc via this command:

stalonetray -w -t 1 -i 18 --geometry 18x18+0-0 --ignore-icon-resize &

#2 2009-05-24 02:16:13

SomeGuyDude

Re: stalonetray vs big icons

Not that I think a good solution is "just use something else", but have you looked at Tint2?

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#3 2009-05-24 02:39:35

Knute

You can start stalonetray in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh.

All that the file does is start programs and you use the & at the end just like in xinitrc.   That's just fyi if you wanted to make use of it.

As for stalonetray, it also has it's own rc file:  ~/.stalonetrayrc.

In arch, there is a default, system wide rc file located at /etc/staylonetrayrc that you can copy to your home directory and configure it to your hearts content.

HTH

Knute

#4 2009-05-24 03:12:38

passbe
Website

but have you looked at Tint2?

im actually still using tint2 but its tray icons where unreliable (mainly pidgin). stalonetray's icons were/is much more reliable (apart from this minor problem).

ou can start stalonetray in ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh.

All that the file does is start programs and you use the & at the end just like in xinitrc.   That's just fyi if you wanted to make use of it.

As for stalonetray, it also has it's own rc file:  ~/.stalonetrayrc.

In arch, there is a default, system wide rc file located at /etc/staylonetrayrc that you can copy to your home directory and configure it to your hearts content.

I have been entering everything into xinitrc for startup programs, is there a difference between either one?

thankyou for the info about /etc/.stalonetrayrc ill have to check it out, i was looking for a default one but couldn't find any information. i will have to scoure through and see if im missing something.

#5 2009-05-24 03:35:08

SomeGuyDude

Quick tint2 note (not to keep hammering on the point): use tint2-svn from the repos. It's a lot more on point.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#6 2009-05-24 04:21:39

heleos

There is also trayer, if you're interested in another stand-alone system tray.
I've used stalonetray and I haven't had a problem with icon size though...

#7 2009-05-24 08:39:01

moljac024

I'd also recommend trayer, I've had icon size problems with stalonetray as well....I think there's a bug in there.. but trayer works nice so what the heck wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#8 2009-05-24 15:52:35

Knute

passbe wrote:

I have been entering everything into xinitrc for startup programs, is there a difference between either one?

Well,  if you wanted to use a different wm,  and I admit, I have played with others,  you can have a specific setup just for openbox without alot of modifications of the xinitrc.    Aside from that, I don't know that there is, but I could be wrong about it. 

Here's what the openbox wiki says about it.   

http://icculus.org/openbox/index.php/Help:Autostart

passbe wrote:

thankyou for the info about /etc/.stalonetrayrc ill have to check it out, i was looking for a default one but couldn't find any information. i will have to scoure through and see if im missing something.

You are welcome.

heheheh... I've found that pacman -Ql <package> is a very handy tool for finding what got installed where.  In fact, I had to use it to find the rc file.  lol

I really haven't had many issues with odd sized icons.  One with vuze that was too small, but that's wasn't to annoying... Oh yeah, and with the mail-notification package icon being too big, but since I couldn't get fetchyahoo to work, I kinda dumped it.   The pidgin icon works fine for me.   I can post my rc if you want to see it.

HTH

Knute

Board footer