You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-28 14:35:23

eDio

DE independent desktop with DE specific applications

Hello everyone, I just going to make a fresh install of arch x86_64, but I need some help from community...

Not so long ago I was highly impressed with hte latest Ubuntu. I like, how it handles bluetooth, wi-fi and so on with pretty gnome utilities.
Of course, my distro is arch tongue . And of course, I can install the same DE... But I hate, when something overrides system settings, which are in rc files (like gnome do).
Also I need a Krusader FM from KDE (until tuxcmd supports drag'n'drop).

AFAIK these packages don't require those packages, which can override system settings (gnome-settings-daemon etc.), but I have a doubt on it.

So the question is: can I freely use DE-specific and device-specific (like gnome-bluetooth) applications, using any wm (like peckwm or openbox) and keeping ALL my settings in default rc files?

I hope, my English here is not too hard to understand wink

Last edited by eDio (2009-05-28 18:52:52)

#2 2009-05-28 16:13:23

Peanut

Re: DE independent desktop with DE specific applications

I guess it depends on what particular application you want to use, but I just started up the applications you just mentioned (nm-applet and blueman-applet) in the Awesome windowmanager, while monitoring the running processes with ps. Both required dbus, and in addition automatically launched gnome-keyring-daemon, the gconf daemon and the gnome virtual filesystem daemon. None of those should change any of your .rc-files.

#3 2009-05-28 18:47:34

eDio

Re: DE independent desktop with DE specific applications

So if I understand correctly, I may use these applications smile
Thank you for your reply.

P.S. writing this post from links 8-)

Board footer