You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-30 07:40:09

cyker

How to get compiz started instead of kWin in KDEmod?

I've tried several methods, but none of them works. Now I can only set fusion-icon to auto start using System Settings in KDEmod. In this way I can get the header line of the window right.

However, there is a boring flash during the transition from kWin to compiz. So I want to totally dump kWin and use compiz from the beginning. But I don't know how to set the variable KDEWM. I followed the method provided by archwiki, but it just didn't work...

PS. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the difference between ~/.bashrc ~/.bash_profile ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xprofile.:)

#2 2009-05-30 08:43:00

Rasi
Website

Re: How to get compiz started instead of kWin in KDEmod?

why not simply set the default window manager in system settings -> defaul applications...

Last edited by Rasi (2009-05-30 08:43:11)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2009-05-30 12:24:14

vi3dr0

Rasi wrote:

why not simply set the default window manager in system settings -> defaul applications...

In my case Compiz gets loaded with slithly different settings and w/o Loose Binding option, which dramatically increases performance on my Nvidia card)

Thinkpad T61p : T7700 | 4GB RAM | nVidia FX 570M | Intel 4965
Arch64 @ Openbox

#4 2009-05-30 13:07:12

hash

I've also tried several methods of starting compiz, and the best working so far is the following:

1. Create a script e.g. compiz.sh in ~/.kde4/env  (if env directory doesn't exist in your ~/.kde4 then create it)
2. In compiz.sh put the following line:

KDEWM="compiz-fusion"

Note: compiz-fusion is just an example name of the script created in /usr/bin
3. chmod +x ~/.kde4/env/compiz.sh
4. Create a script compiz-fusion in /usr/bin which is a loader of compiz with the settings that you need. I use the following:

compiz --replace ccp --ignore-desktop-hints --sm-disable --loose-binding &
emerald --replace

5. chmod +x /usr/bin/compiz-fusion

The described method works only for the one user. If you want to replace KWin with compiz system-wide then you should put the script from ~/.kde4/env to /etc/kde/env

Board footer