You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-30 00:34:15

Joshmotron

Bizarre squealy sound after huge update and graphics driver change

So... Uh, I was dumb, and didn't so much as think about pacman -Syu in about 45 days now, and had about a 1 gig update to my system.  With the upgrade to the new X, xorg-server, and other related craziness, I seemed to happen upon lots of mixed dependencies that others had, but worse.  I tried upgrading Catalyst after finally getting xorg-server and some stuff to install, but I couldn't start back up X, so I'm switched over to radeon-hd-git (I have an R580), and everything seems to be working great (almost seemingly better than with Catalyst.)  I guess since nothing blew up I have all my dependencies worked out, no conflicting libGL.so files, or other such nonsense, but now I get this odd squeal sound coming from my computer.

It seems to happen when pictures are being loaded, moved, re-sized, etc.  It doesn't seem like it's from my internal speaker, or my normal ones, but it almost seems like for reason these are being dealt with by the harddrive and it just a very quick mechanical-arm-move in the process.  It's not very annoying, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything, but I was curious if anyone else had this issue, and if there's a fix (if it IS my harddrive, I'd rather not have it thrashing when I'm looking at pictures on the Interwebs or my HD itself.)

If there's anything else I may need to give to help out, lemme know... I've never heard of anything like this happening.

#2 2009-05-30 01:12:53

chimpyw

Re: Bizarre squealy sound after huge update and graphics driver change

Weird, I just noticed this too now that you mention it.  I'm using radeonhd on a x1300 which i think is also a r500 chip.  No idea where to start looking for a fix sad

#3 2009-05-31 02:07:48

sigSEGV

I've always had this with my nvidia card, but only when a lot of graphics are being put on the screen.  I guess I've always assumed it was the onboard fan on the video card responsible, but never confirmed it.

#4 2009-05-31 09:31:08

karol
Archivist

+1 sigSEGV
Maybe it's your swap?

On a lighter note: pacman keeps your soft up to date, but you have to feed him (-Syu). Same thing about that hamster that keeps your hardware in order. 45 days?! You'll starve the poor fellow to death ;-)

#5 2009-05-31 15:36:43

Joshmotron

Yeah, I thought about just how long it had been since I upgraded just before I did it.  Was pretty good checking updates the first couple of months I had this, then I just sorta forgot.  It only updated 387 things. smile

Board footer