You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-06 03:28:37

DrTankMC

Kde4 AND Kdemod4 freeze every 5-10 minutes without fail.

Hello, i wanted to use kde4 on my laptop (intel x3100 graphics, latest intel driver) since i already have gnome on my desktop (in all its non-buggy non-alpha glory) but it freezes every 5 minutes or so.  I can move my mouse and change my brightness on the keyboard but thats all i can do, no alt+ctrl+f(x).  i dont really want to go back to gnome because i want something other than gnome on my laptop, and kdemod3 is getting outdated rather quickly or else i wuold use that, and i dont want xfce, and all other options besides those are really weak like the boxes.  any suggestions?

Long live the Organization for the Organized!!!

Ich möchte die Tomatensuppe!

#2 2009-06-06 03:46:07

FrozenFox
Website

Re: Kde4 AND Kdemod4 freeze every 5-10 minutes without fail.

Tried disabling akonadi and nepomuk/strigi or compositing?

Akonadi:
kwriteconfig --file kres-migratorrc --group Migration --key Enabled --type bool false (permanent till reversed)

Nepomuk/strigi:
systemsettings -> advanced -> desktop search -> disable nepomuk/strigi (permanent till reversed)
and..
kquitapp NepomukServer (one session only.. add it to ~/.config/autostart or in systemsettings autostart, same deal)
killall strigi (just in case.. one session, but above stuff should stop it permanently)

If that doesn't help, you might also disabling compositing and see if it makes a difference, systemsettings->desktop

You might also try kdemod unstable if you have no luck, what is/will-soon-be effectively 4.3 beta 2 is there at the moment. i686 is at 4.2.90, and x64 at 4.2.88, not much of a diff there.

also couldn't hurt to try it as a new arbitrary test user, in the off chance that a local file could be causing something weird to happen.

other suggestions.. show us your xorg.conf I guess on the off chance someone will notice a problem.. try a different video driver.. andd... thats about it wink

lots of things to try out. glhf.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-06-06 03:54:21)

#3 2009-06-06 03:58:21

DrTankMC

Re: Kde4 AND Kdemod4 freeze every 5-10 minutes without fail.

i thought it might be the compositing causing the problem....but its pointless if i have to disable it.  thanks i'll test it out though.

Long live the Organization for the Organized!!!

Ich möchte die Tomatensuppe!

Board footer