You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-06 05:46:06

decaren

Metacity not starting

I know we've seen all the title bar missing posts before, and I'm using the quick and dirty fix right now, but I can't get my gnome/metacity desktop back to normal.  Funny this is all I did was install wicd.  After the reboot I got a few errors about alsactl on startup, but nothing major.  Login and metacity is gone.  Hopped into a terminal and ran it.  Then added it to my startup applications.  Does anyone know what the proper fix is because I still don't have any icons on my desktop and right clicking my desktop does nothing.  I know the gconf value for windows_manager isn't used anymore so I'm kinda stumped.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've been using linux long enough to get me in trouble, but please speak n00b for me.

#2 2009-06-07 11:04:56

snoblo

Re: Metacity not starting

I don't know if this will work for you, but when I wanted to switch back to metacity in gnome (I was trying out xmonad + gnome), I had to do
gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/current metacity
gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager metacity

I don't know if .gnomerc is still used, but you can also try putting in it:
export WINDOW_MANAGER=metacity
if it's not there already.

good luck!

pacman is hungry today
My webcomic series about lonely programmers smile

Board footer