You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-07 18:22:55

jpalan

Screen goes blank after a few mins, no matter what I do

I have a slight problem: I ran an update, which brought me a brand-new shiny kernel and a brand-new shiny xorg-server. It took me a few days until I bothered to reboot my computer and after that things got hairy.

After a few minutes, screen goes blank.

I set a screensaver of my Gnome desktop to 2 hours, no effect.
Power manager sliders have exactly to positions: 2 hours 1 minute and never, neither one has any effect on this.
I said 'xset dpms force on', no effect.

Even when I try to watch a movie with mplayer, screen still goes blank after a few minutes (usually mplayer inhibits this kind of stuff).

Now, I find it really hard to believe that this could be any hardware issue, after all, if video card or display would be faulty, I would probably either get a picture on the screen or don't get a picture on the screen, not some unwanted screen suspend every few minutes.

So I have to assume it's a software thing. Kernel doesn't seem very likely to be the guilty one, so I guess it is that steaming pile of crap we know as xorg-server, which got upgrade from 1.6.1 to 1.6.1.901 (sounds like wannabe-1.6.2), to be take the blame here.

There is no 1.6.1 package in the cache or in any repos I checked, so hard to downgrade. Of course I could hack some pkgbuild from AUR and install that, but somebody told me that I would probably also have to compile drivers against that so if that's correct (is it?), then I would consider that as a last option.

Any ideas?

#2 2009-06-07 18:43:04

Urfaust

Re: Screen goes blank after a few mins, no matter what I do

Board footer