You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-09 03:19:45

Leonid.I

[SOLVED] Problem switching virtual consoles under Xfce/OpenBox

Hi,

Lately (since latest update of xorg-server) I noticed a strange behavior, when switching VC via ctrl-alt-f1,2,..: the screen sometimes flicker in the text mode, displaying a set of horizontal lines on top of text. Switching to vc/7 and back again, typically, but not always, fixes it. Also, the same problem arises sometimes after returning from the state, triggered by xset dpms... After looking in google I am thinking that it is a framebuffre problem, but how do I see if the framebuffer is enabled/disabled on my system?
   My machine is Compaq Presario V2000, AMD Sempron 3000+/Radeon XPress 200M with radeon driver.

Thx in advance,
L.

Last edited by Leonid.I (2009-09-23 21:47:55)

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#2 2009-06-10 20:15:44

tanguyr

Re: [SOLVED] Problem switching virtual consoles under Xfce/OpenBox

I've got the same problem, posting this to subscribe to the thread. I noticed this only happens after bringing up my desktop env (KDE4 from kdemod in my case). I can switch to a virtual terminal when kdm is showing the login prompt on 7, but after i log in and kde starts i have to do the double switcheroo for it to work. I've got a toshiba with intel graphics

/t

Edit: ok i think i've fixed it by adding "vga=[number]" (i used 792, yours might be different) to the end of the Arch Linux kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

Last edited by tanguyr (2009-06-10 20:41:52)

#3 2009-06-11 01:21:29

Leonid.I

Re: [SOLVED] Problem switching virtual consoles under Xfce/OpenBox

Thanks for the quick reply!

Different value vga=N correspond to particular resolutions, right? I have a wide screen 1280x768, which I can not find in the table in my /boot/grub/menu.lst. However, I tried to disable framebuffer altogether by putting vga=0, but the problem still remained, sad

BTW the same problem emerges, when I sometimes return the screen from DPMS off state; it also was present in Fedora... Seems like a bug in the radeon driver... Hopefully, with fglrx it will go away, although it takes too much memory.

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

Board footer