You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-11 01:15:44

handy

[SOLVED] Installing Calalyst driver, with Radeon HD 2600

My iMac crashes  to a gray screen when I try to startx.

This situation arose about a month ago after doing a big upgrade, as I hadn't been able to upgrade with pacman & yaourt for the previous month.

I saw the problem as being caused by the upgraded Catalyst drivers/utils, in combination with the x.server upgrade.

Anyway, yesterday I upgraded all again, & then removed the Catalyst driver & utils, then followed the Arch wiki regarding installing the open drivers for my radeon HD card.

After installing the open drivers I could once again load Openbox & see my beloved Arch again.  BUT, it is too laggy to use.  I could watch a movie on the machine, which was somewhat jerky at times but watchable.  Scrolling in Firefox is so delayed that I can't live with it.

I followed the Arch wiki instructions for optimizing the open driver; doing one thing at a time & restarting x, to test, but they did not help the situation.

So, (at long last smile)  my question is, will I be buying into trouble by downgrading X & using the previous version of the Catalyst drivers & utils?

I have to ask the question as I really am no Linux tech' wizard.

I was very happy with the way Arch was working for me over the previous year or so.

Last edited by handy (2009-06-12 08:20:58)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2009-06-12 02:21:25

handy

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Calalyst driver, with Radeon HD 2600

Looks like no one knows.

I'll just have to give it a go, & downgrade. 

Fortunately I still have the previous packages in the cache.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#3 2009-06-12 06:28:54

handy

I've been reading up in the AUR comments on catalyst & catalyst-utils, I see that many people are having similar, or at least other serious troubles with the catalyst & utils packages.

It is a pain (for some of us at least) that in trying to install the latest drivers, this following occurs:

Could someone please tell me how to handle the following error?:

::catalyst-utils: conflicts with libgl
press a key to continue

I tried to -Uf but it made no difference, same error?

Thanks for your time.

I'm over it!

#4 2009-06-12 06:31:29

Uruz2012

Remove libgl.
fglrx provides the same functionality

#5 2009-06-12 06:58:24

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

handy wrote:

I've been reading up in the AUR comments on catalyst & catalyst-utils, I see that many people are having similar, or at least other serious troubles with the catalyst & utils packages.

It is a pain (for some of us at least) that in trying to install the latest drivers, this following occurs:

Could someone please tell me how to handle the following error?:

::catalyst-utils: conflicts with libgl
press a key to continue

I tried to -Uf but it made no difference, same error?

Thanks for your time.

-f does not do what you think it does, please read the pacman man page again.

Also, pacman told you exactly what to do to replace libgl with catalyst utils, so please follow it's instructions.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#6 2009-06-12 07:41:43

handy

Uruz2012 wrote:

Remove libgl.
fglrx provides the same functionality.

Thank you very much for the advice Uruz2012, I'll give it a go as soon as I've finished this post.

Mr.Elendig wrote:

-f does not do what you think it does, please read the pacman man page again.

Also, pacman told you exactly what to do to replace libgl with catalyst utils, so please follow it's instructions.

Sorry, but I'm just another ignorant user of Arch, meaning, that though I've been using it for over a year, I have only learned what I have had to when a problem presents itself.  Which has only been a few times in my experience.  This one has definitely the hardest one for me to deal with.

Things that seem incredibly obvious to old hand Arch/Linux users are usually not obvious to the likes of me.

Interpreting error messages is not easy for all of us.

& yes I did look at the pacman man page, as well as read all of the comments at AUR regarding both catalist & utils in my efforts to regain a useful Arch system.

I'm over it!

#7 2009-06-12 07:56:42

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

pacman probably told you that replacing packages with -U is not supported, and that you should -Rd then -U

Edit: Example:

[oh@Alice][~]%spmc -U http://mirror.archlinux.no/extra/os/x86_64/libgl-7.4.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
 libgl-7.4.2-2-x86_64    1105.7K  647.0K/s 00:00:02 [----------------------------------------] 100%
loading package data...
checking dependencies...
error: replacing packages with -U is not supported yet
error: you can replace packages manually using -Rd and -U
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: libgl: conflicts with nvidia-utils
[oh@Alice][~]%

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2009-06-12 07:58:49)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#8 2009-06-12 08:07:50

handy

I just tried to remove libgl & get a pile of errors telling me that 5 different packages require it?

I tried the -f as well, it had no effect.

The errors were  as follows:

error:failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: ati-dri: requires libgl>=7.4.2
:: capseo: requires libgl
:: mesa: requires libgl
:: xorg-server: requires libgl
:: xorg-utils: requires libgl

So I then did a -Rfd libgl  which removed it.

After which I did another -S catalyst which certainly did a lot more than my previous attempts, though it left me with the following error as its last line:

missing dependency for ati-dri : libgl>=7.4.2

I'll now check if it works?

After a warm boot, things are looking good. big_smile

Thanks for your kind & descriptive help  Uruz2012.

It is amazing just how few words of help it can take to make a totally useless computer system fully functional again. big_smile cool  Now  I can escape from the Leopard install that I have been forced to use on this machine, prior to my finally getting serious about attempting to fix it.

Thanks so much, again, for your help in healing my computer...

Last edited by handy (2009-06-12 08:18:29)

I'm over it!

#9 2009-06-12 08:17:12

handy

Mr.Elendig wrote:

pacman probably told you that replacing packages with -U is not supported, and that you should -Rd then -U

Edit: Example:

[oh@Alice][~]%spmc -U http://mirror.archlinux.no/extra/os/x86_64/libgl-7.4.2-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
 libgl-7.4.2-2-x86_64    1105.7K  647.0K/s 00:00:02 [----------------------------------------] 100%
loading package data...
checking dependencies...
error: replacing packages with -U is not supported yet
error: you can replace packages manually using -Rd and -U
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: libgl: conflicts with nvidia-utils
[oh@Alice][~]%

Thanks for your reply.

It did just as you quoted, so then I tried -Rd & -U to no avail? 

I can't remember what the error's were, but as my previous post states, removing libgl allowed me to get my system functioning again, at last.

It is so good to be back in Arch; all of the other distro's are just too much, & too complicated, & as you can tell, the simpler things are the better for me. wink

Last edited by handy (2009-06-12 08:21:55)

I'm over it!

Board footer