You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-14 23:24:12

jupi

Keyboard dies if pressing any key too long

Hi,

since some time I experience strange issues with any of my keyboards on any of my PCs. If I press any key too long (e.g. Shift to select multiple Vertices in Blender), the keyboard stops working. This happens on two different machines with the same DE in equal versions running on (KDEmod 4.2). It does not matter whether the keyboard is connected by PS/2 or USB, if two keyboards are connected, the other one still works fine until I press a key on it too long. Sometimes a reconnect of keyboards helps (when my PS/2 keyboard stopped working, I plugged an USB-connected in, and suddenly the PS/2 keyboard worked again, too, while reconnecting only the malfunctioning keyboard doesn't work).
What works every time is surprisingly logging out of the current KDE4-session, back in KDM the keyboard works fine again and after logging in again it still does - until I press a key too long. So my guess is that it's a problem within KDE4.
At the moment I use Xorg-hotplugging and the keyboard is set up as a "Evdev managed"-device in KDE. Could this be a possible cause? Should I try to disable hotplugging?

Has anyone got an idea how to fix this problem or at least debug it further?

Thank you very much,
Julian

#2 2009-03-14 23:28:38

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Keyboard dies if pressing any key too long

This is a total stab in the dark. Doesn't KDE have mouse and keyboard gestures? You may want to check if KDE is actually waiting for you to do something.

#3 2009-03-30 19:46:00

Khamul

I have the same problem...but keyboard works if I press keys for about a second every time...it is very strange... :-s

Der Einzige und sein Eigentum
Anarchism - Atheism - Transhumanism

#4 2009-03-30 19:51:29

Ashren
Website

You run the following "script" in the background:

while true; do xdotool keydown super; sleep 1; done

Nah, just kidding.

Weird problem btw. Perhaps this is a good time to explore other WM/DE's and see if the problem persists?

Last edited by Ashren (2009-03-30 19:54:00)

#5 2009-06-14 22:26:45

Khamul

Maybe I've found a solution...it is simply a keyboard gesture like Windows's "pressing shift-key for 5 seconds"...it can be disabled somewhere in KDE's system setting, I don't remember exactly where because I've done this a some time ago, but I remember it is simple to find.
Hope I'll be useful.
Bye

Der Einzige und sein Eigentum
Anarchism - Atheism - Transhumanism

Board footer