You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-16 02:40:21

noillagr

Arch/Awesome interaction issue???

I'm using the community/awesome 3.3-2 window manager on 2.6.29-ARCH (i686).  Sometimes I forget and run 'vim' instead of 'gvim' from the Run: prompt (via Mod4-r keyboard shortcut).  Whenever this happens, the awesome window manager hangs indefinitely with a busy cursor displayed.  I submitted a bug report on the awesome bug tracker site, but it was closed as an non-reproducible problem.

Does anyone else using Arch Linux have a problem entering 'vim' at the awesome Run: prompt (via Mod4-r keyboard shortcut)?  I wouldn't necessarily expect a vim window to appear (since it is not a Xwindows application), but it shouldn't hang the window manager.

#2 2009-06-16 04:31:56

kett

Re: Arch/Awesome interaction issue???

I tried it and I got the busy cursor as well.  But it doesn't hang awesome.  You can still open up a terminal and then kill vim from the command line.  I'm not sure how it should respond since it's not an X app.  I mean, except for the busy cursor it behaves exactly as I expect.

#3 2009-06-16 07:23:30

tdy

No busy cursor here with 3.2.1, just these errors:

Vim: Warning: Output is not to a terminal
Vim: Warning: Input is not from a terminal
[1;24r[?25h[?8c[?25h[?0c[27m[24m[0m[H[J[?25l[?1c[1;1H[33m  1 [0m
[1m[34m~                                                                               [3;1H~                                                                               [4;1H~                                                                               [5;1H~                                                                               [6;1H~                                                                               [7;1H~                                                                               [8;1H~                                                                               [9;1H~                                                                               [10;1H~                                                                               [11;1H~                                                                               [12;1H~                                                                               [13;1H~                                                                               [14;1H~                                                                               [15;1H~                                                                               [16;1H~                                                                               [17;1H~                                                                               [18;1H~                                                                               [19;1H~                                                                               [20;1H~                                                                               [21;1H~                                                                               [22;1H~                                                                               [23;1H~                                                                               [0m[24;63H0,0-1         All[7;32HVIM - Vi IMproved[9;34Hversion 7.2.65[10;29Hby Bram Moolenaar et al.[11;19HVim is open source and freely distributable[13;26HBecome a registered Vim user![14;18Htype  :help register[34m<Enter>[0m   for information [16;18Htype  :q[34m<Enter>[0m               to exit         [17;18Htype  :help[34m<Enter>[0m  or  [34m<F1>[0m  for on-line help[18;18Htype  :help version7[34m<Enter>[0m   for version info[1;5H[?25h[?0c[24;1HVim: Error reading input, exiting...
Vim: Finished.
[24;1H[24;63H[K[24;1H

Last edited by tdy (2009-06-16 07:23:59)

#4 2009-06-16 11:05:32

noillagr

Interesting, thanks.

After I get the busy cursor I'm not able to open a terminal window or anything else via awesome.  But I can switch to another virtual terminal (via Ctrl-Shft-F2) and login and kill vim.  But that doesn't help, awesome is still hung.  I have to kill -9 the awesome process to get back to a known state.

I did find that issuing the 'ls' command via Mod4-r results in a busy cursor, but only temporarily.  But issuing a Mod4-r vim command still hangs awesome indefinitely.

I was running the awesome-git development version and got tired of merging my rc.lua changes, so I started running most apps via Mod4-r.  I usually run vim inside a xterm window.  But sometime I'm on a awesome pane without any xterms and my stupid fingers type Mod4-r vim instead of Mod4-r gvim.  At that point any unsaved work is lost since awesome stops responding to input.  I wonder if there is a kill -X signal that could be sent to awesome to simulate a window manager restart (Mod4-Ctrl-r)?

Last edited by noillagr (2009-06-16 11:07:41)

#5 2009-06-16 11:24:39

Peasantoid
Website

I think this might be because awesome blocks while waiting for the vim process to complete. Since it's an interactive process, it won't end until you tell it to.

But wait, if gvim works, that wouldn't make sense...

Last edited by Peasantoid (2009-06-16 11:25:03)

#6 2009-06-16 13:32:47

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

If it is only about inadvertently typing "vim", how about a simple alias in .bashrc? Something like

alias vim='xterm -e /usr/bin/vim'

You could add this as well in order to run vim in an existent terminal

alias VIM='/usr/bin/vim'

(All upper case for easy typing.)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#7 2009-06-16 13:49:58

noillagr

@Peasantoid: Even if I bring up a virtual terminal (via Ctrl-Alt-F2) and do a kill -9 on the vim process, awesome is still hung

@bernarcher: When I think 'edit', my fingers type 'vim'.  I'm not sure I can overcome that habit.  And normally that is fine, because I'm typing vim at a command prompt in an existing xterm.  But I've started using the awesome Run: prompt a lot.  And right now if I mistakenly enter 'vim' there, awesome hangs and I can't bring it back without killing it and losing any unsaved work I have in other awesome panes.

#8 2009-06-16 14:09:59

Trent

Typing gvim starts the program and returns immediately, so that would be no problem.  If you can run other programs that don't terminate (e.g. firefox, xterm) then it seems you are looking at a different issue.  Probably Vim blocks looking for input somehow...  but I don't know how that continues to block after kill -9'ing the vim process.

Anyway, bernarcher's suggestion of aliasing vim to something else seems sound.  Can you do that with the Mod4-R shortcut, whatever it brings up (I don't use awesome)?

Board footer