You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-17 10:00:10

mohtasham1983

Xorg has become very unstable after an upgrade

Hi,

I have the 64 bit version of Arch running on my desktop computer. I have enabled only core, extra and community respositories and I update my system pretty much everyday to keep my computer up to date. Recently, I noticed when I use firefox, I was having trouble closing some tabs and eventually I had to kill firefox. Initially, I thought it was the problem with compiz-fusion, that's why, I disabled it, but the problem is still there. Moreover, I have noticed that this problem has infected other applications such as gnome-terminal. The top bar is gone, and I cannot move any window. Even by holding alt key, I cannot move any window.

I'm not quite sure, but I guess this problem has to do something with Xorg. I have an integrated intel video card which has been working flawlessly since I installed Arch on my computer 6 months ago.

I was wondering if anyone's faced the same problem?

#2 2009-06-17 10:10:27

mohtasham1983

Re: Xorg has become very unstable after an upgrade

Well, I just realized that the problem is not with Xorg. I wrote this post on google chrome on windows. After surfing the web to find more information about google chrome on Linux, when I tried to press on tabs, it started closing them which made me very dissappointed from Chrome. Then I opened Firefox on windows, but all of a sudden it froze, just like it happened on Linux.

I guess the main issue is with Firefox.

#3 2009-06-17 10:30:37

mohtasham1983

Sorry for over posting. I can confirm that the issue is not with Firefox. I just logged in to my Linux machine. Opened thunderbird and gnome-terminal. I wasn't able to switch between the windows or go through my emails.

I just switched back to windows and ran chrome and firefox at the same time. Firefox seemed to be working, but I couldn't click on any link. It also caused Chrome to freeze.

Do you think it can be a hardware related issue?

#4 2009-06-17 11:26:27

Allan
Pacman
Website

Sounds like it could be.  I'd run memtest and see if you find any errors.

#5 2009-06-17 16:05:13

mohtasham1983

I did a memtest and got 0 error. However, I found where the problem was. I noticed whenever I middle clicked on links to open them on a new tab, the system froze both on windows and Linux. Very strange, right?

I just changed my mouse and everything is working fine.

Board footer