You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-25 07:46:09

jidders

XFCE4 Fails to Start

Earlier today i upgraded my system with pacman. I didn't see exactly what was upgraded, but whatever it was must have been buggy and broke xfce4.

Everything seemed to be fine after the update (i hadn't rebooted yet) until i tried to download something and firefox complained that there is no space left on /tmp. This has never happened to me before. i tried clearing out the folder, i also tried copying a picture over to /tmp and it just said there is no space left, although my hard drive has plenty of space left and so does /home. So i rebooted hoping that would solve the problem.

XFCE took almost 2 minutes to load, it is never nearly that slow. When i got to my desktop, my wallpaper was gone and none of my custom keyboard shortcuts worked. I tried to start firefox from the launcher and command line but it again complained about no space left on /tmp and failed. I clicked the shutdown button on my panel to reboot again, but instead of the usual shutdown/reboot/hibernate/standby options it just exited the xfce panel. So i rebooted from the terminal.

Now every time i try to start xfce, it shows the splash screen as normal, loads for about a minute, and the screen turns black with an "X" for the cursor. ctrl+alt+backspace does nothing.

xfce4 is set to run automatically at startup...
First of all how can i get to a command line from here? Any suggestions as to how this happened or how i can solve it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I now realize I'm getting the same xorg issue as everyone else after the upgrade. Will research elsewhere.

Last edited by jidders (2009-04-26 01:53:43)

#2 2009-04-25 08:20:18

kaola_linux

Re: XFCE4 Fails to Start

You can go straight to the command line by adding single on the kernel entry of your grub entries when it boots. Just press e to edit the kernel line then add "single" at the end.

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#3 2009-04-25 20:29:46

jidders

Thanks, that worked. Also, I have a system rescue cd ready in case i need that.
I did startxfce4 as root and it gave me the default desktop, but the keyboard and network wasn't working.
How do I get back to MY desktop? Thanks in advance!

#4 2009-06-20 12:04:57

scarecrow

What do you have in your hosts file?
$ cat /etc/hosts

Last edited by scarecrow (2009-06-20 12:05:10)

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer