You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-17 14:34:48

Jonhoo

Sounds and tooltips in Awesome3 WM

Hello fellow archers!

I've been playing around with Awesome 3 for a couple of days now, and am starting to grow quite fond of it, however there are two things that bother me, that I cannot seem to be able to solve myself.

First, is there any way of getting the computer to use a specified sound file instead of the machine bell whenever it tries to notify me of something? I've downloaded the freedesktop sound scheme to /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop and libcanberra, and set gtk-sound-theme-name="freedesktop" in my gtk config file, but none seem to make any difference..

Second, I've been cusomizing my rc.lua file quite a bit, and have now come to the stage where I would like to have a text appear like a tooltip when hovering over a textual battery indicator I've made with the remaining battery time. The current text widget is hooked using wicked. Is there any way of doing this? I've google around, but haven't found any examples on how it might be done.

Hope some of you can shed some light on my problems.
Jon

#2 2009-06-18 11:18:57

Jonhoo

Re: Sounds and tooltips in Awesome3 WM

*Bump*
Does no-one have any idea as to how any of these can be accomplished? My googling as gotten me nowhere..

#3 2009-06-18 12:23:32

jacob_

You could create a naughty notification using mouse_enter on the widget and if you store the value you can make it go away again on mouse_leave.

#4 2009-06-18 12:24:43

Jonhoo

Naughty notification?
How do I set mouse_enter and mouse_leave using wicked?

#5 2009-06-18 14:43:32

anrxc
Website

Naughty is awesome' notification library which you can use for all kinds of pop-up messages/notifications http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Naughty

Once you have some function that uses naughty attaching it to a widget is simple and has nothing to do with wicked. For removing it you either set a notification timeout or you need to destroy it your self (for instance on mouse leave). See examples on the wiki page I gave you.

function battery_tooltip()
    -- grab some battery info
    -- display it with naughty
end

batterywidget.mouse_enter = function() battery_tooltip() end
-- batterywidget.mouse_leave

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#6 2009-06-21 15:39:07

Intrepid

On the Wiki under user contributions for awesome there are a plethora of naughty notification setups including a pop-up calendar which I find very useful.  As for the notifications, canberra does not handle that sort of things.  I would just turn off the system bell entirely under alsa-mixer or find a way to turn it off for notifications.  I use noteo for my notifications, which shows a popup message using naughty.  Perhaps you could try that?

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

Board footer