You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-12 07:46:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Linking Xscreensaver to Slim

I was wondering if anyone had been able to unlock xscreensaver with the themed Slim screen, rather than the default (and, to me anyway) ugly dialogue that xscreensaver presents?

I see from this page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xde … er_theming that xscreensaver can be themed, but was wondering if there was some way to use Xdefaults to link to /etc/slim.conf to present the same dialogue as when you log in?

I imagine it would be straightforward, but as I have zero skills in this sort of thing I am probably deluded in my optimism...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#2 2009-06-29 06:36:57

rebugger

Re: Linking Xscreensaver to Slim

Won't work. Simply style your xscreensaver or use something else.

#3 2009-06-29 06:39:09

XFire

jasonwryan wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had been able to unlock xscreensaver with the themed Slim screen, rather than the default (and, to me anyway) ugly dialogue that xscreensaver presents?

I see from this page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xde … er_theming that xscreensaver can be themed, but was wondering if there was some way to use Xdefaults to link to /etc/slim.conf to present the same dialogue as when you log in?

I imagine it would be straightforward, but as I have zero skills in this sort of thing I am probably deluded in my optimism...

That is my biggest irk about Xscreensaver, the dialogue box is hideous.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#4 2009-06-29 06:41:59

rebugger

XFire wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

That is my biggest irk about Xscreensaver, the dialogue box is hideous.

After styling it like in the wiki it's looking better wink

#5 2009-06-29 13:52:43

thayer
Fellow
Website

I created the theme for the xscreensaver prompt as seen in the wiki, but in the end felt like it was just a bandage to a bigger problem.  Since I use a notebook, screensavers seemed overkill and a waste of my battery.  In the end I opted for xautolock and slock.  xautolock will run a custom command after X seconds of idle and slock is a super simple screen locker from the suckless community (makers of dwm/wmii).  There's no prompt at all, just a black screen to enter your password.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#6 2009-06-29 20:49:29

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Thanks Thayer

thayer wrote:

I created the theme for the xscreensaver prompt as seen in the wiki, but in the end felt like it was just a bandage to a bigger problem.

No argument here.
I will look at xautolock and slock - sounds like an elegant solution.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer