You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-01 07:29:02

Tera

Xorg & Dual Monitors: How to disable the ghost mouse?

As other dual screen users may have noticed, after upgrade to Xorg when you move your mouse between the two workspaces the mouse duplicates, aka it leaves a ghost mouse pointer behind the workspace you just moved the mouse pointer from. Does anyone have an idea how to disable this annoying thing? As a sidenote, this shouldn't be related to Xinerama as I'm using two separate X servers.

#2 2009-06-01 09:41:27

whoops

Re: Xorg & Dual Monitors: How to disable the ghost mouse?

Hi!

Don't have the problem using twinview, so it might be related to whatever thing is supposed to transfer the mouse from one xserver to another.

That's already as much as I can say - maybe you could try using hardware pointer (if that's not something my mind just made up) as somehow without knowing what's the difference or how that works, I can hardly imagine the hardware pointer leaving behind a "ghost".

Good luck!

#3 2009-06-01 09:58:52

Tera

Unfortunately this issue doesn't have anything to do with OpenGL hardware cursor as this problem is not application specific in anyway. This happens with both of my dual-screen workstations and with one of my friend's dual-screen workstation as well (He is using Ubuntu). It's have to be something on the X-server itself as it's clearly not distribution specific.

#4 2009-06-02 07:31:56

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes, I first noticed this on Ubuntu, it stayed when I came over to Arch. Not a whole lot seems to have been done about it, primarily because its not really a big deal in any way.

My I suggest, if you're using separate X screens, that you use switchscreen to do a keyboard toggle of your mouse screen? Something like <Super>-Tab saves the position of your mouse in one screen and focues on the other screen, pressing that again gives back focus of the original screen. A life-saver for me, really.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-06-04 11:49:33

Procyon

I have also found this really annoying. I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Here is a little script to make a single ghost cursor invisible (not really a solution, but if you don't need the mouse on monitor 2 then you only need to run it when you accidentally move the mouse there), if it doesn't work move the mouse a little bit and run it again:

unclutter -idle 0 & pid=$! ; xwarppointer screen +; sleep 0.5; xwarppointer screen +; kill $pid

Last edited by Procyon (2009-06-04 11:50:48)

#6 2009-06-05 01:49:30

SiB

Actually this is related to Xinerama. I had this bug recently, I just downloaded the latest pkgbuild from the arch trunk of xorg, builded it and the problem went away. (There is actually a patch in the pkgbuild that fix this issue)

#7 2009-07-07 17:12:56

Procyon

Related thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75329

That solution worked for me too. I have no idea why I had synaptics installed, but removing it fixed the ghost mouse.

Board footer