You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-14 01:40:55

timm

keyboard types gibberish in gnome [solved]

I'm running mythtv under Arch.  For some reason I can't get lirc to work, so I just use my wireless keyboard.  I was watching tv today and I hit "P" to pause the show.  Instead, I got an error, something like "unknown MP".  I tried a couple other keys, the menu "M" didn't work, some others did.  I exited mythtv and gnome, and had no problems at the command line.  I did a system update and reinstalled xorg, in case something had become corrupted, rebooted, and tried again.  Again, no problems at all at the command line, but gibberish in gnome.  I renamed my xorg.conf (I need it for the tv out) and tried without one, same problem.  Some keys work, but the "p" types a -, o, i,or maybe u give me 5 and 6.

This was working last night and no updates were done between the time it worked and the time it started with the gibberish.  Any ideas?

Last edited by timm (2009-07-12 20:57:21)

#2 2009-07-12 20:43:43

timm

Re: keyboard types gibberish in gnome [solved]

Ok, today I accidentally figured out what is going on, but not yet why.

The keyboard I'm using has a "Fn" key, which allows some of the keyboard keys to have an alternate response, such as typing the numerals.  I discovered that what is being typed to the screen is those alternate responses.  I can get the regular keys (such as m) back by holding down the "Fn" key.  This is exactly the opposite of how this key is supposed to function.

Bump:

I did some more digging and ran across this thread  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71117
dealing with sticky keys, went to keyboard accessibility under gnome, turned off the sticky key box that was checked, and my keyboard is back to normal.

Last edited by timm (2009-07-12 20:58:21)

Board footer