You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-19 06:05:36

ZeroTruths

[Solved] I have more cpus than I should have...

I'm running Arch on an Intel Atom processor, which to my knowledge only comes in packages of single or dual core. However, I notice that in /sys/devices/system/cpu there are four folders, one for each "core". Also, in conly-cli, the method in which I found out about this, it showed my top four applications, the highest of them being Folding@Home. I expected F@H to be around 50%, but instead it's only stayingat 25%, which is how I found out that Arch is seeing four cores.

I'm wondering if anyone knows why this is happening, and if there's a way to going back down to just two cores.
(I remember reading something about virtualizing cpus to make them do double the load per core, and appear as two cores)

Last edited by ZeroTruths (2009-07-19 06:55:34)

#2 2009-07-19 06:16:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] I have more cpus than I should have...

Some Intel hyper-threaded CPUs show up as more than one core.

#3 2009-07-19 06:23:21

ZeroTruths

Re: [Solved] I have more cpus than I should have...

Yeah, a friend of mine reminded me tht Atom 330's use hyperthreading, of which I was completely unaware of. A quick checkup on this, and I've realized that leaving it asis is better for my system.

... I'm still annoyed that I had some CPU cycles left on idle, even when I thought I was taking advantage of them...

Cest la vi...

Board footer