You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-15 15:05:54

playdafunkimuzic

fvwm question (crystal?)

Hi!
I want to install fvwm, I've used openbox for quite some time but I'm curious about how this works. To those who use it or have used it, what are the pros/cons of installing fvwm vs. fvwm crystal? Is there a major difference?

#2 2009-07-15 16:18:03

anrxc
Website

Re: fvwm question (crystal?)

FVWM-Crystal is a collection of configuration files, themes, scripts and even some apps for FVWM. It is not some "special fvwm". Did you even bother to read their page?

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2009-07-15 16:23:10

playdafunkimuzic

anrxc wrote:

FVWM-Crystal is a collection of configuration files, themes, scripts and even some apps for FVWM. It is not some "special fvwm". Did you even bother to read their page?

Website is down: http://fvwm-crystal.org/ sorry

#4 2009-07-15 18:55:48

ThomasAdam

playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Hi!
I want to install fvwm, I've used openbox for quite some time but I'm curious about how this works. To those who use it or have used it, what are the pros/cons of installing fvwm vs. fvwm crystal? Is there a major difference?

You're not trying to *install* this on OBSD though, are you?  (Odd question to ask here, I suppose) -- the OBSD folks ship FVWM version 2.2.X, more arcane than anything the FVWM configuration files in FVWM-Crystal can handle.

-- Thomas Adam

#5 2009-07-15 22:55:19

playdafunkimuzic

ThomasAdam wrote:
playdafunkimuzic wrote:

Hi!

You're not trying to *install* this on OBSD though, are you?  (Odd question to ask here, I suppose) -- the OBSD folks ship FVWM version 2.2.X, more arcane than anything the FVWM configuration files in FVWM-Crystal can handle.

-- Thomas Adam

Nope! Installing on arch.

#6 2009-07-17 13:26:28

RobbeR49

fvwm-devel is probably what you want to use. It's called "Unstable" by the FVWM devs but really it's not at all.

FVWM is great but the default configuration is not very attractive and not really intuitive if you're coming from openbox. 

Once you start tweaking/creating your own config, though, you can do a lot with it.

#7 2009-07-17 18:26:29

playdafunkimuzic

RobbeR49 wrote:

fvwm-devel is probably what you want to use. It's called "Unstable" by the FVWM devs but really it's not at all.

FVWM is great but the default configuration is not very attractive and not really intuitive if you're coming from openbox. 

Once you start tweaking/creating your own config, though, you can do a lot with it.

Thanks for all your help. Do you use fvwm? Any tips? Screenshot/config? Thanks a bunch!

#8 2009-07-18 17:44:44

ThomasAdam

playdafunkimuzic wrote:
RobbeR49 wrote:

Thanks for all your help. Do you use fvwm? Any tips? Screenshot/config? Thanks a bunch!

Once again:

http://fvwm.lair.be

-- Thomas Adam

#9 2009-07-20 19:31:04

RobbeR49

I use FVWM off and on, here is a config file I uploaded a while back, it should give you a fairly simple OB-like setup you can build from.

#10 2009-07-20 19:35:41

Knute

FVWM can look like pretty much anything, on the fly, and it has a sweet per app setup where you can have keystrokes specific to certain apps.

I definately miss the specific keystrokes on certain apps thing.

Knute

Board footer