You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-21 14:41:54

i-legend

[SOLVED] Install X Wiki needs an update!

Hello everyone, my first post here

I've been an Ubuntu user for quite some time, but decided to try the "Arch Way" smile
I looked around for topics like mine but could not find any open ones, just closed. So
here is the issue i'm having with the Wiki guide to Install X:
# pacman -S xorg
It looks like xorg was a package a while ago however it is not anymore. One can choose
to install all packages from the group xorg or specifically give "package arguments" to
pacman for the ones he needs. I found topics with the same issue dating 2/3 yrs back.
Since I'm attempting to build a DE and need X for that, I am a little confused on which
packages I would end up needing. I only want the bare minimum in order to get X up and
gunning, that is, allowing me to build a DE of my choice. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. I know you guys probably here that last one a lot big_smile

Last edited by i-legend (2009-07-23 08:59:28)

"In the middle of the road of my life I awoke in the dark wood where the true way was wholly lost"
Dante Alighieri

#2 2009-07-21 15:05:45

u_no_hu

Re: [SOLVED] Install X Wiki needs an update!

I didnt understand exactly what you are looking for.

pacman -Qg xorg will give you the members of the group. You can pick and choose from them, but i think it is almost minimal, apart from maybe xterm ot twm, which are pretty light weight themselves.

Don't be a HELP VAMPIRE. Please search before you ask.

Subscribe to The Arch Daily News.

#3 2009-07-21 15:09:48

thayer
Fellow
Website

Aye, a search of the forums should result in a breakdown of what each of those packages are.  My advice however is to install the group for now, to get your desktop up and running, and then once you have the time to spend pouring over docs to make a 'minimal' environment you can easily uninstall what you don't need.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2009-07-21 15:34:52

i-legend

Thanks thayer.
I was almost looking for someone to give me a green light for yRETURN on the "Do you want the whole group" prompt.
However I wanted to check first since that's the way I did things in UBUNTU, which ends up with 50% of your filesystem
cluttered with turds. Is there anything unnecessary in the xorg group that you are aware of?

"In the middle of the road of my life I awoke in the dark wood where the true way was wholly lost"
Dante Alighieri

#5 2009-07-23 13:07:38

i-legend

Now that I have done some more digging I should say this:
The beginers guide doesn't note anything about the xorg group,
however the Xorg guide does! If anyone is unsure about this. big_smile

Last edited by i-legend (2009-07-23 13:07:56)

Dante Alighieri

Board footer