You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 13:35:24

whoops

encrypted, compressed & secure: best combination?

Hi!

I'm about to do some "random redundant backup-backups" on old hard-disks (connected via USB)... I guess I really won't need to use those (unless I manage to mess up really big time - already using raid5 & making regular backups to another raid5 drive)... so what's the best combination to...:
- get data (mixed, everything, random kind of) compressed
- get it encrypted
- in a way that doesn't corrupt data thaaat easily
- on a harddrives connected with an USB adapter, 100-150GB each (no need to implement "splitted archieves" or something like that, I'm just going to backup random 100-150GB of  data with much redundancy from time to time...)
?

I've searched a lot, but I can't really figure out what's the right thing to do in my case... first I wanted to do a full drive encryption & compression, but that might be a bad combination and considering that I'm not going to access the hd frequently it might be a lot too complicated.

Just compressing the files to one .tar.lzma and encrypting that would make it to likely for the whole archive to get corrupt, right?

So... what would you recommend? Thanks!

#2 2009-07-23 14:46:39

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: encrypted, compressed & secure: best combination?

Unless they're files that can be compressed easily, I wouldn't compress at all. Just back up and encrypt. I do an rsync once a few weeks (not frequent enough I know) between my external HDs - one for backup, one for daily operation.

Both HDs are encrypted btw - loop-AES.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-07-23 16:22:46

adamlau

I prefer either dar w/ par2 (par2cmdline), or 7z (p7zip) w/ par2 for most of my important files.

Last edited by adamlau (2009-07-23 16:23:16)

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#4 2009-07-23 19:05:00

fflarex

Have a look at rdup in AUR if you're not satisfied with anything else you've tried. It is by far the most flexible solution I've come across.

Board footer