You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-23 11:10:14

whoops

[solved] Small changes to abs PKGBUILDs and maintenance/updating

Hi!

Somehow I manage to hoard packages that require intervention on updates. Small things, like p.e. adding a flag to have cups build without the need for avahi or midori (if I rememer tight that one was libsoup) without gconf... or just an own mozconfig for firefox. Nothing that really requires too much thinking/knowing/decision-making - at least to apply the changes to updated PKGBUILDs.

Now what's the best way to maintain that and is there already a good script or something to do it?

Something like p.e.:
- Have a folder with PKGBUILD patches (like "insert additional build flag")
- If folder for package exists, build from ABS as soon as new abs version exists, apply patch to PKBUILD before that & notify if it fails with the updated PKBUILD (something like just adding the -disable_whatever flag shouldn't require much intervention, should it?)
- If no folder, take pacman package as soon as soon as ABS is updated (are there lots problems with them not being in sync?)

Well, but that's just an example... how do you do it? How do you let yourself get informed about repo updates of package you have installed as local slightly modified version? How do you reapply small / medium / big changes to the updated original PKGBUILDs? And slightly related: Do you think it makes sense to provide & request AUR packages that are only slightly different from the original ABS ones (like one line / one configure flag...) or would that just lead to way to many AUR entries that are only used by 1-2 people?

thx...

Last edited by whoops (2009-07-24 16:53:08)

#2 2009-07-23 11:12:16

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [solved] Small changes to abs PKGBUILDs and maintenance/updating

There is srcpac.  Not sure how well it works (well, you will want to at least use the git version...)

#3 2009-07-24 16:52:46

whoops

Re: [solved] Small changes to abs PKGBUILDs and maintenance/updating

Thanks!

That doesn't really do everything I had in mind, but as it's bash and I can spend hours screaming at single lines of bash that don't work after I changed/typed them,  it should keep me occupied until I either give up, break something or get it to do what I want...

Still: If anyone knows something like it that maybe has support for AUR and/or makes it easier to keep patches / custom files (like mozconfig) in the "private ABS tree" for automatic updating / building, just point me into the direction!

Board footer