You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-20 19:43:57

Trent

wmii, or other tiling wm, with a system tray

I really like the way wmii does tiling (minimal but functional window decorations, and the columnar layout), but I have recently sorely felt the lack of a system tray.  I installed trayer and it works fine, I like it in the abstract, but it has some obvious problems with wmii.  For one thing, it doesn't stick around when switching tags, and for another, it doesn't play well with wmii's own status bar or with tiled windows.

So, is there anyone else who has tried this, and what was your solution?  Is there another tray that behaves, or another tiling window manager that plays nice?  I have heard that it's possible to add a margin where tiled windows will not be placed, but only in passing and no details specific to wmii.

My ideal desktop would be more or less exactly like wmii's default setup, with a few extra keybindings, etc. and a system tray in the bar.  While I'm willing to accept the fact that nothing like this yet exists, I'm sure it could be closely emulated (perhaps with a separate panel).  In the meantime I'm using awesome, but I don't like any of the default window layouts or the lack of decorations on the windows (the list in the bar doesn't cut it).

I'd like to hear any suggestions the Arch community has to offer, whether for configs or window managers (or both).

#2 2009-07-20 20:41:49

plurt

Re: wmii, or other tiling wm, with a system tray

you should have done a google search smile read this

Last edited by plurt (2009-07-20 20:42:38)

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#3 2009-07-20 21:21:27

Trent

I did read that thread... but can't find any instructions to create a gap or margin along one side of the screen (is it even possible?).  As for the other suggestion (putting it on top of the wmii bar), well, that would work, but I don't know how to do that either (the bar always ends up on top).

#4 2009-07-25 00:33:29

Trent

So, nothing I have found online indicates that it is at all possible to leave a gap on any side of the screen (with wmii 3, at least).  But then, it's not well documented.  Can anyone confirm or correct this?

Board footer