You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-06 16:05:14

keither

Printers with Windows-only drivers

So this is annoying. I have this Dell printer that only comes with Windows drivers (it's a Dell v305w), and though I would like to be able to print, I'll probably sell it and buy one with better Linux support before I'll run Windows on VirtualBox or whatever. Before packing it up, I thought I'd survey the community on solutions to this problem.

So, here are my questions, in order of my preferences:

1. Does anyone know of a site that hosts third party drivers for this sort of thing?

2. I see an OpenSUSE package named ddiwrapper, that serves as a wrapper for Windows-based printer drivers, but is only reported to work with Canon ink jet printers at this time? Has anyone heard of a similar package that works on other printers, or tried to get this to work for their non-Canon printer?

3. What about trying to install the driver with Wine? Does this have any chance of working?

4. What kind of printer should I buy?

#2 2009-08-06 16:10:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Printers with Windows-only drivers

http://www.linuxprinting.org/ is the reference site for printing on Linux.

If you don't find a solution to use your present hardware, I'd recommend getting an HP printer. Their ink is kinda expensive and stuff but they have excellent Linux support. And that's why I'm buying them.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2009-08-06 18:50:50

keither

Thanks for the link. There's no driver for my printer on this site, and I can't seem to find a wrapper. It looks like Wine will not be helpful either.

On a related note, does anybody want to buy a new Dell printer? smile

#4 2009-08-06 19:01:17

keither

Actually, I have an old Windows machine sitting around, and I might just hook the printer up to that computer and use it as a print server. I'll update you in a day or two about how that worked, though I also have to accomplish some real work today aand can't play with hardware all day.

Board footer