You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-09 23:13:53

Isengrin

[Solved] Not able to see CDs/partitions/USB drives in file managers

Hey. A quick question:

What could be causing Pcmanfm (also Thunar an Nautilus) to not show partitions, CD's and USB things in the left panel? they can be mounted manually, tough, but this is my girlfriend's notebook and she won't like that.

What intrigues me, is that it's the same model than mine, same setup, same versions, and mine works perfect. Even hers in previous installs (Arch → Arch → Debian → Arch) has always shown these things.

Also, when I unplug the USB mouse and plug it again, it doesn't works again, so I guess it has something to do with Hal, even tough it's running apparently normal, so...

Any ideas? I just installed Arch as I always do, but if I missed something important I'll be really ashamed. =)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Isengrin (2009-08-10 08:49:37)

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#2 2009-08-10 07:10:30

SpeedVin

Re: [Solved] Not able to see CDs/partitions/USB drives in file managers

Do you use HAL to automount?

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#3 2009-08-10 07:56:10

Isengrin

@SpeedVin Yes. Just plain good ol' Hal.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#4 2009-08-10 08:01:09

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I had some issues with pcmanfm not showing mounted media, so I switched Fam to Gamin and it all works brilliantly. It may not be a solution for your situation, but if you are still using Fam it might be worth a try...

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamin

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2009-08-10 08:49:06

Isengrin

jasonwryan wrote:

I had some issues with pcmanfm not showing mounted media, so I switched Fam to Gamin and it all works brilliantly. It may not be a solution for your situation, but if you are still using Fam it might be worth a try...

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamin

Sadly, it solved itself when I reinstalled Arch, so I'll never know what it was. :'(

Still, thanks a lot, trying Gamin seemps pretty interesting, and useful if this happens again. =)

—Moiraine Damodred

Board footer