You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-11 00:58:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Desktop/software recommendations for Compiz user?

Hi all,

I initially came over to Arch from Ubuntu+Compiz, so of course Gnome+Compiz was a natural fit for me. Have tried KDE a few times, up to 4.2 even, but never really got the hang of it.

The more I think about it, however, the more I realize that I probably don't really need Gnome, as most of the functionality I need is Compiz-related. I do use a lot of the default Gnome apps, however, as well as the panel (purely for displaying an easy-to-click calendar), but primarily do my launching from Alt-F2 or Gnome-do, whichever comes to mind first. I do find the list of applications helpful, however, since sometimes the name of the application or launcher just slips my mind.

So, I'm asking for recommendations on how best to proceed. Stay the same (compiz+gnome)? Get rid of gnome, keeping only apps I need (compiz standalone)? Get another desktop with compiz? Get rid of compiz altogether (difficult...)?

Basically, this is what I use/need from compiz...

1. Cube (negotiable) - seems the most natural representation of my multiple workspaces. Hasn't seen much use recently though, due to....
2. THE SCALE PLUGIN - this has GOT to be my favourite compiz plugin, use it all the time to see what I have running currently and quickly switch windows. Alt-tab is SERIOUSLY underused on my setup.
3. Desktop zoom - I sit pretty far away from my screens, and for detail work I like to zoom the entire desktop in with a simple <Super>mouse-scroll.
4. Adjustable Window transparency - I use this for image comparisons, or just to read something while typing it into the terminal/text editor/whatever.

Other desktop-related apps I have running are cairo-dock (originally meant it as a gnome-panel replacement, but didn't like the calendar implementation. Launch frequently-used apps from it though), Gnome-do (no explanation needed), and the requisite conky. I'm not actually sure whether cairo-dock has any gnome dependencies for operation... if so please let me know. I guess I could do without cairo-dock, at least, since its just a convenient store for all my launchers, at least till gnome-do goes multi-monitor (separate X) capable.

So, on to my frequently-used apps, related to Gnome.

1. Evolution - I was a Thunderbird user in Windows and Ubuntu, but Evo was just quite nicely integrated to the whole Gnome environment, like the calendar and stuff, unlike the cool-but-feels-a-bit-hackish Lightning plugin for Thunderbird (I haven't tried v3 with integration though). This is pretty essential now as the only means of downloading my Microsoft Exchange mail at work.
2. Firefox - More gtk than Gnome, just thought I'd throw it out. Don't think this will be a problem in any case.
3. Nautilus - I understand this is tightly integrated to Gnome. Have tried PCManFM, Thunar, and EmelFM2, with the last one being the best in my opinion, but always came back to Nautilus, just like the interface (wish for dual-pane though). I guess this could be adjusted pretty easily.

So, any suggestions? I know most here have the opinion that everything eventually ends with tiling WMs, but that's a bit scary for me, plus I'm not sure if desktop zoom and adjustable transparency are achievable (especially for one-on-top-of-the-other comparison of images, as I do image-related research, and that's the fastest way to confirm the accuracy of my results). I do realize, however, that my love of the Scale plugin can be seen as a stopgap because I don't use a REAL tiling WM... Suggestions welcome, and sorry for the extra-long post.

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-08-11 01:06:15)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-08-11 01:01:05

Wintervenom

Re: Desktop/software recommendations for Compiz user?

Try the window-manager-agnostic Cairo Composite Manager.  As for the apps...

Evolution:  Claws-Mail, Alpine, or Mutt.
Firefox:  Midori, UZBL, Opera, Aurora, or Elinks.
Nautilus:  Thunar, emelFM2, Xfe, or ROX.

Last edited by Wintervenom (2009-08-11 01:06:40)

#3 2009-08-11 01:05:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Man that was fast, thanks! Looks like that would do just fine for the transparency concern.

EDIT: And you edited. A cursory search for cairo composite manager shows that some users are complaining its actually slower and harder on operating system resources than, for example, metacity's compositor, as such it may not be a real improvement over compiz. Comments from anyone?

Evolution:  Claws-Mail, Alpine, or Mutt.
Firefox:  Midori, UZBL, Opera, Aurora, or Elinks.
Nautilus:  Thunar, emelFM2, Xfe, ROX.

Concerning Firefox, not very possible to switch to anything as I use a few extensions which are essential, primarily Zotero for my research database. Alternatives to Evo that you've mentioned are basically mail clients, and seem to lack good calendaring functions (will be checking that out soon, however). Agreed on the alternatives to Nautilus, they do exist, but seem a bit less 'smooth' to use. As I said, however, I'm not averse to trying those out. Thanks again.

However, my main question is still whether I should be dumping Gnome or not. The apps are an 'along-the-way' part of it, of course, but in my use-case is it possible/recommended to dump Gnome and run something else (non-KDE and preferably gtk2, of course).

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-08-11 01:13:59)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-08-11 01:48:54

AdrenalineJunky

thats completely up to you - though you could try something like xfce or lxde + compiz.

#5 2009-08-11 13:54:30

Crows

Well, seeing as compiz is a WM any of the other WMs are out. Essentially then, you're left with KDE + Compiz, standalone or one of the lighter DEs.

If you're not a fan of KDE (same here, I try it every two point releases, but I can never get used to how it does things) then the first option is pretty much out. That and I'm sure the KDE team isn't focusing much on compiz integration, what with their own effects.

Standalone works (with a bit of effort for start-up scripts etc). However, you may miss some of the little DE additions you don't notice until they're gone (like copy&paste that keeps the data even after the app you copied from has closed).

I'd say you should look into XFCE or LXDE. My suggestion is XFCE. It's pretty much GNOME-lite. Similar panel, similar settings, similar little extras like a settings daemon.

As for the apps - I've never had any problems running GNOME apps in it (though the libraries add to the RAM usage), it uses GTK+ anyway, and some of the XFCE apps are really great (Mousepad is a great little text editor if you just want to jot down some stuff and Thunar is stable and fast).

Firefox will only ever have problems if you're running it in KDE, and that's just appearance-based stuff.

The scale plugin - Awesome has a project called Revelation that I believe implements this. Compiz is your best bet here, though.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crows (2009-08-11 13:55:28)

#6 2009-08-11 14:33:05

AdrenalineJunky

Crows wrote:

Standalone works (with a bit of effort for start-up scripts etc). However, you may miss some of the little DE additions you don't notice until they're gone (like copy&paste that keeps the data even after the app you copied from has closed).

install/run parcellite ^^

that was driving me nuts on my openbox setup till i installed it.

Board footer