You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-14 12:50:52

arch0r

[need] lyx tuturials, docs, noob guides

hai everyone! :>
i'm trying to get into this *tex stuff atm for writing my upcoming researches and thesis in a sth. more "professional" app wink. lyx is quite nice and i played bit around with it but i didn't understand everything hmm
are there any beginner guides / tutorials for the very beginning (and for bloody noobs?^^)

i just want to use lyx for now.

thx in advance :>

Last edited by arch0r (2009-08-14 12:51:12)

#2 2009-08-14 13:07:59

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: [need] lyx tuturials, docs, noob guides

http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Tutorials

Seriously.  LyX has some of the best tutorials I have ever seen.  They are extremely focused on the end user and consider parts that are confusing to be real bugs.

#3 2009-08-14 18:06:06

djszapi
Website

Hello! arch0r!

Yeah, so if you type in google.com "lyx tutorial", you will get so much tutorials.

#4 2009-08-14 20:50:44

jstarek

I've been writing all my academic texts with LyX for the past years. While it is a great program, you should be aware that you'll need some basic TeX background knowledge if you have unusual formating requirements or to understand possible error messages. I suggest you start with the LyX tutorial as mentioned by "keenerd" (which, as well as the excellent manual, is also available through LyX's Help menu) and skim over the first few chapters of http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/ .

After these two, you may need to check the "Math" and "Floats" manuals, also available from the Help menu. But that depends on what you need -- the LyX way of setting mathematics differs from LaTeX's, and floating environments are also handled differently.

Oh, and judging from your post, you may want to read more on spelling and grammar checking tools.

Restoring the oldest German radio telescope: http://astropeiler.de

#5 2009-08-14 22:51:37

arch0r

ok, thx a lor for  your replays. and yes, i searched on my own with google. but i didn't know where to start or which tutorial is the best for a bloody noob.

#6 2009-08-14 22:57:08

SiC

LyX is quite nice, but I can't help feeling that I should recommend that you jump right into using LaTeX straight away.  Download Kile and use that, it's a great little LaTeX editor, and I far prefer it to using TexnicCentre (what I have to use at work as we run Windows sad )  Most of the time with LaTeX you are using the same document formats, and so you can use exactly the same preamble over and over again.

I have used LyX a couple of times, but the flexibility I get from writing in the source is better in my opinion.  There are an awful lot of tutorials out there for LaTeX too.

Just my 2 pence big_smile

Board footer