You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 14:10:46

eDio

[Solved] Call openbox root menu by click, hotkey, etc.

I am here directly from an old joke about windoz user, who can't live without button "poozk" (funny transcription of Russian "start").
I need some script or smthng else, which I may put on launchbar of my panel and call openbox root menu.

Under bb4win I can use so called Bro@ms (messages, which make communications between bb plugins possible) or even run main blackbox executable with some parameters to show main menu. So I very miss this feature in openbox.

I tried to make, f.ex., my conky or panel smaller to make right click on desktop with maximized windows possible, but it looks not very well in this case.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Last edited by eDio (2009-08-18 19:44:35)

#2 2009-08-18 14:27:41

BurntSushi
Website

Re: [Solved] Call openbox root menu by click, hotkey, etc.

This is how I did it...

First, make a key binding for the root menu in your rc.xml if you don't already have one:

Example:

<keybind key="W-space">
    <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>root-menu</menu>
    </action>
</keybind>

And now simply call this command wherever you need the menu: (You'll need xdotool- it's in the community repo.)

xdotool key super+space

And of course be sure to substitute your key binding. I use this on PyPanel and an Arch logo as my "Start" button :-)

Last edited by BurntSushi (2009-08-18 14:28:25)

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#3 2009-08-18 19:59:41

eDio

Re: [Solved] Call openbox root menu by click, hotkey, etc.

Thank you smile
P.S. For icon I prefer logo of Chakra Project. Looks good.

Board footer