You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-18 15:47:49

CaptainKirk

NEWBIE Networking Question

Perhaps my question is so trivial that there's no wiki page. I have my Archlinux box and my wife's Windows box on my LAN. I don't really need to connect to her box. But now I have a Debian box also which I am working on and I DO need to connect to it, just to share files.

When I open the "Network" place under Places on the Debian box I see there the Windows box, but not my Arch box.

How can I share files with this box?

#2 2009-08-18 15:50:30

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: NEWBIE Networking Question

you can install ssh and use scp (secure copy, commandline tool) to transfer files. or instead of scp, install filezilla. it's a really good ftp client in my opinion.

note: you'll have to install ssh on both the boxes.

#3 2009-08-18 17:18:15

CaptainKirk

Isn't there an easy way to get a file share like Debian has? That would work in Thunar?

#4 2009-08-18 17:40:17

bds

Try sshfs: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sshfs

Once you've mounted the remote share you can access it with Thunar etc.

#5 2009-08-18 23:05:50

sand_man

CaptainKirk wrote:

Isn't there an easy way to get a file share like Debian has? That would work in Thunar?

Your Debian install is obviously using samba to "see" the Windows box. You could use that to share files with the Arch box but I wouldn't. If the Windows box doesn't need to share with the Arch box then I would set up NFS.

neutral

#6 2009-08-19 10:03:16

SiC

sand_man wrote:
CaptainKirk wrote:

Your Debian install is obviously using samba to "see" the Windows box. You could use that to share files with the Arch box but I wouldn't. If the Windows box doesn't need to share with the Arch box then I would set up NFS.

I disagree, samba works well, and provides that layer of interoperability between all the machines on the network.  You never know how circumstances change, files may need to be transferred between all three machines at some point. In addition, Samba is not just a file sharing daemon, it allows printer sharing as well, which could be useful at some point.

#7 2009-08-19 23:15:58

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

SiC wrote:
sand_man wrote:

I disagree, samba works well, and provides that layer of interoperability between all the machines on the network.

Yes, but using a kludge of a protocol from MS to get 2 *nix machines to talk to each other is like 2 English speaking people talking through 2 German translators tongue

Board footer