You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-23 10:52:02

dienadel

NTFS from linux and multimedia disc

Hi!

I've and strange problem.

I have a "Conceptronic 3,5'' Multimedia player", with its HD formated in NTFS. The following problem seems not to be related with the way i formatted it (i tested gparted and windows itself via virtualbox). Also, i've probed with the hal aproach in my laptop, and with fstab in the server.

- If i copy files and directories in the HD via XP (virtualbox), when i connect it to the TV, all is fine. I see the files.
- If i copy files and directories in the HD via gnome (HAL) or console (fstab), when i plug the multimedia HD to the TV, the directories are seen, but no the files. These files copied from linux, can be seen in XP (virtualbox).
- If i mix files copied from linux and XP, pluged the HD in the TV, only the files copied from XP are seen.

I have no idea what can be happening :-(

Any idea?

Thanks!!!

#2 2009-08-23 11:43:19

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: NTFS from linux and multimedia disc

Maybe because XP writes some additional file to disk, example:
If you download firefox and write it to disk, you will get 2 files, the one you have just downloaded and one hidden that I assume serves the purpose of helping xp annoy the user with "do you wish to execute the file..." warning and waste disk space.

Firefox Setup 3.5.2.exe
Firefox Setup 3.5.2.exe:Zone.Identifier:$DATA

This is just an idea though, I have noticed this behavior while saving files to a shared folder when using vbox, your problem might be something else.

Can you use any other filesystem instead of ntfs? If you don't plan to store files larger than 4GB then fat32 might do the trick for you.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-08-23 11:54:30

dienadel

R00KIE wrote:

Maybe because XP writes some additional file to disk,

I've noticed that XP creates a directory called "system Volume..."; linux no. So, perhaps, the multimedia disk needs that directory.

Can you use any other filesystem instead of ntfs? If you don't plan to store files larger than 4GB then fat32 might do the trick for you.

I don't plan to store files larger than 4GB. I tried FAT32. xvid, mp3.. files ok, but, i usually copy DVD files (VIDEO_TS...). All seemed ok, until every DVD played.. not good. Making tests, all files in the DVD copied in thE HD, must be in uppercase. If they are uppercase, the DVD plays nice. Copyng from linux to the FAT32 partition, the letters are stored in lowercase. I tried converting from lowercase to uppercase with chcase without luck.

So, i'll give back the multimedia disk

:-(

#4 2009-08-23 14:58:20

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Sounds like a poorly designed device ... I think there may be a way to store all files in uppercase but I'm not sure how to do that, just wait a little longer and maybe someone will give you some nice solution smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#5 2009-08-23 18:57:46

thisoldman

I just went through a similar head-scratching problem with vfat. I had to specify "shortname=lower". Perhaps this tidbit from the mount man page is the solution?

From the section "Mount options for ntfs,"

posix=[0|1]
              If enabled (posix=1), the file system  distinguishes  between  upper  and
              lower  case.  The  8.3 alias names are presented as hard links instead of
              being suppressed.

Board footer