You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-19 13:43:50

drtoki

SCIM issues with urxvt

I am using openbox with no DE. I cannot get scim to work correctly with urxvt. I can get scim input working correctly and consistently under other terminals (gnome and xfce terminals) and applications.

In my .Xdefaults file I have

URxvt.inputMethod:    SCIM
URxvt.imLocale:       zh_CN.utf8

The thing is scim works sometimes. Both with the above values present as well as absent. I don't know what the issue is. I'm hoping I can get help with this issue.

#2 2009-08-19 21:32:40

djszapi
Website

Re: SCIM issues with urxvt

Hello Drtoki!

Can you provide any  error output/log about the problem ? I use URxvt.inputMethod:    SCIM
settings too, and it works here.

#3 2009-08-19 23:58:16

drtoki

Where would I find a log about the issue? I start urxvt in terminal and it doesn't give me any error outputs. It starts fine, there is no error output when I try to use scim, but I cannot ctrl+space to switch input languages. Like I said, it will work occasionally, sometimes if I change an unrelated value such as URxvt.background. If I then exit openbox and restart my openbox session, I once again lose my ability to use scim. I don't know why it works when it does and I don't know why it refuses to work when it doesn't.

#4 2009-08-21 08:56:10

drtoki

Also, when scim is working properly with urxvt, urxvt takes a long time to start up- around 5 seconds. this also goes for new tabs. What could cause such slow initialization times?

#5 2009-08-22 03:59:34

jcolinzheng
Website

drtoki wrote:

Also, when scim is working properly with urxvt, urxvt takes a long time to start up- around 5 seconds. this also goes for new tabs. What could cause such slow initialization times?

urxvt is flawed.  But first: can you use mlterm?  If not, I can try to help having used urxvt for years (and finally dumped it) myself.

#6 2009-08-22 04:45:17

drtoki

jcolinzheng wrote:
drtoki wrote:

urxvt is flawed.  But first: can you use mlterm?  If not, I can try to help having used urxvt for years (and finally dumped it) myself.

I've tried mlterm, but I don't think it's the terminal for me.  I might give it another shot if I cannot get urxvt working like I want. I would appreciate any help you can provide for urxvt.

#7 2009-08-22 16:17:45

jcolinzheng
Website

Alrighty.
First make sure that XIM support is enabled when urxvt is built.  The imLocale and im settings are probably not necessary if you can use SCIM in other applications, eg by having

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim

Also try changing the im switch key in SCIM; it might be colliding with urxvt's handling of modifier keys.

For slow start, it is likely due to fonts.  I realized the problem back during urxvt 8.3: if you look into src/rxvtfont.C, urxvt attempts to "try" many fonts upon start. (I have a patch for urxvt 8.3 at http://jcolinzheng.org/software/urxvt-f … nts.patch) You can remove those lines, recompile, and see if it becomes faster.  In my case there was 3-5 sec's difference.

#8 2009-08-24 03:21:57

drtoki

Hm. I do see some improvement after changing around the rxvtfont.C file. I think I will continue to play around in the source files.. Thank you very much

Board footer