You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-20 11:58:14

snaip

Dual head + catalyst + awesome = can't move mouse from screen 2 to 1

Howdy folks,

Anyone encountered such phenomenon that with dual screen you can move the mouse from the main screen to the second screen, but not back? The mouse goes smoothly from left screen to right screen (in my case), but the edges of the right screen are like concrete walls.

The system's a laptop with VGA monitor attached, running 2.6.30 with catalyst from AUR (thanks!). I didn't use a xorg.conf before, created it with aticonfig

aticonfig --initial=dual-head --screen-layout=right

Window manager is awesome (v3.3-174-g176fa70 (Stellar))

Anyone got any ideas what would be the best place to start looking for a solution (or problem)? It's working real nicely except for this. With awesome I can use keyboard to switch screen so it's quite easy to fix everytime if I'm using the mouse or accidentally swing it to the other screen. Googling didn't turn much up.. seems usually with people it either works or doesn't.

#2 2009-08-20 14:54:42

s3kt0r

Re: Dual head + catalyst + awesome = can't move mouse from screen 2 to 1

Well I have dual head also, but no ati card. I don't know a solution, but I think it would be helpful if you shared a little more info. Running xorg version? xinerama? Maybe try setting it up with xrandr ?
I realize this isn't much of a reply though. Sorry.

box1: Arch (linux-3.17-rc5)
box2: Gentoo (linux-3.17-rc5)
wm: subtle

#3 2009-08-20 16:24:22

snaip

Yep, everything is newest.

X.Org X Server 1.6.3

Tried Xinerama, slightly different behaviour when going from left to right, but it still doesn't return from right to left. I used http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Using_ … le_Screens as base for customizing the xorg.conf. With Xinerama I also get weird DPI (huge text in firefox - at least on the laptop screen)

Without Xinerama xrandr shows independent results depending on which screen it's called. On laptop screen it displays LCD and CRT (disconnected) and on the external VGA screen it displays CRT and LCD (disconnected). I didn't try what would happen if I tried to activate either in either one.. Kinda silly since they're both active in reality. Is this because they're configured to run on different devices maybe?

One option could be to try defining a big virtual desktop? I'll try that a bit later, now I gotta run on errands.

My mouse is configured by HAL - though that probably doesn't matter a little bit.

Last edited by snaip (2009-08-20 16:25:44)

#4 2009-08-21 09:51:18

s3kt0r

Yeah, Hal shouldn't be an issue here, I think.

Xrandr results are different in both screens, as it checks for acceptable resolutions and refresh rates for each physical screen, besides not working with Xinerama.
You could go and try one virtual desktop, but then you won't have 2 screens visible, so maybe that will work. Also, if you haven't already, try the xrandr static config, see if that changes anything.
Another thing I was thinking: I recently had the weirdest problem with my kbd, it would stop working after a while. I downgraded xf86-input-evdev and udev back to previous version, and voila'!
cheers

#5 2009-08-26 06:41:27

snaip

Just noticed ---

external USB mouse works like it should, only the touchpad has this problem! So must be something with synaptics? The laptop's HP 6735s.

Related bug? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/366844

But I thought I wasn't using Xinerama now.. gotta dig in this later today.

Last edited by snaip (2009-08-26 06:46:19)

#6 2009-08-26 16:49:16

s3kt0r

Yeah, maybe synaptics, play around with xf86-input-synaptics, xf86-input-evdev and udev. Also there's been recent update to hal, so maybe you could also check it out.
That bug report seems like your problem, though it's on nvidia. Stick with it.

Last edited by s3kt0r (2009-08-26 16:50:34)

Board footer