You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-26 20:07:49

nLEyETn

What panel do you use with compiz?

I'm curious as to what panel people like to use with compiz.  I used to use xfce4-panel but didn't like the look of it.  Right now I'm trying BMPanel and like the look of it, but it doesn't seem to handle viewports as opposed to desktops.  For example the desktop switcher only shows one desktop/viewport, and the taskbar will show windows from all viewports no matter which viewport I'm actually on.  I've heard about tint2 also, but from what I've read it seems it has the same limitation that BMPanel has.

So what panel do you all like, and can anybody recommend a good one that can handle viewports. smile

#2 2009-08-26 21:37:55

pogeymanz

Re: What panel do you use with compiz?

Well, that's the problem. For lightweight, you have to use xfce4-panel. You could also use gnome-panel if you want to drag all those gnome-deps. Otherwise, go no panel and use the scale plugin to show all your windows, which is what I did for a while.

#3 2009-08-26 22:04:21

nLEyETn

I was afraid xfce4-panel might be what I need.  I'd rather not use gnome-panel because of the dependency issue.  I'm also taking a look at lxpanel at the moment, I'm not sure if it's capable of what I want, but it might be another option.

#4 2009-08-26 22:40:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm not sure how 'light-weight' it is, but I've been using cairo-dock in Gnome, haven't touched the auto-hidden gnome-panel for ages now.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-08-26 22:47:12

nLEyETn

I tried cairo-dock when 2.0 came out, it seemed pretty buggy at the time.  I saw that 2.0.8 is out now; have you had any problems with it lately?

#6 2009-08-26 23:22:12

wankel
Website

Im also using cairo-dock with standalone compiz, no problems thus far.

#7 2009-08-27 02:19:29

pauldonnelly

Why use a panel?

#8 2009-08-27 02:39:26

methuselah

nLEyETn wrote:

I'm curious as to what panel people like to use with compiz.  I used to use xfce4-panel but didn't like the look of it.  Right now I'm trying BMPanel and like the look of it, but it doesn't seem to handle viewports as opposed to desktops.  For example the desktop switcher only shows one desktop/viewport, and the taskbar will show windows from all viewports no matter which viewport I'm actually on.  I've heard about tint2 also, but from what I've read it seems it has the same limitation that BMPanel has.

So what panel do you all like, and can anybody recommend a good one that can handle viewports. smile

I don't use Compiz anymore..... but back when I did, I found the best thing to do was to build the xfce4-panel with the cario-patch for true transparency, and then use the compiz fusion "blur" plugin on it. It made it really nice looking in my opinion.

These are old pictures from when I used Compiz:

Screenshot-56-1.png

Another look of only 1 panel in use:
Screenshot-8-8.png

This is the same xfce4-panel in black:
Screenshot-73-2.png

This is the outdated AUR package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22081

You can also use a nice ~/.gtkrc-2.0 script in your home folder to add a nice panel image if you don't want to use the cairo patch. (some people don't like the patch because it makes certain xfce4-panel plugins ugly or buggy..... doesn't matter to me, I never use those plugins)

Last edited by methuselah (2009-08-27 02:50:06)

#9 2009-08-27 03:51:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

nLEyETn wrote:

I tried cairo-dock when 2.0 came out, it seemed pretty buggy at the time.  I saw that 2.0.8 is out now; have you had any problems with it lately?

What specific bugs are you referring to? I haven't had much problems, and I run SVN.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#10 2009-08-27 04:49:52

flamelab

The *best* panel-dock (or whatever you may want to call it) i've seen is Gnome-Do's docky theme. I like it's "solid" look.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-08-27 04:50:02)

#11 2009-08-27 12:29:41

lararefaeli

Hi...
I'm using Gnome and it provides best transparency for my linux. I don't have any view point issue with that. The good thing about this is ...it can be easily installed in system and it doesn't have any extended setting list. So I would recommend it to you.

#12 2009-08-27 12:46:26

eldragon

pogeymanz wrote:

Otherwise, go no panel and use the scale plugin to show all your windows, which is what I did for a while.

why didnt i think of this before! i already used the scale plugin. the panel was sitting there waiting to be deleted wink

#13 2009-08-27 16:08:48

dunc

eldragon wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Otherwise, go no panel and use the scale plugin to show all your windows, which is what I did for a while.

why didnt i think of this before! i already used the scale plugin. the panel was sitting there waiting to be deleted wink

That's what I do, but for the record, LXPanel doesn't support viewports. I still use it for the clock and system tray, though.

0 Ok, 0:1

#14 2009-08-27 18:16:38

eldragon

dunc wrote:
eldragon wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

That's what I do, but for the record, LXPanel doesn't support viewports. I still use it for the clock and system tray, though.

since i use gnome, i dont care about the gnome deps of gnome-panel wink so there is no issue there, i binded alt-1 through 4 to my different viewports and im set. only issue to be addressed is pidgin does not make a lot of visual noise when a message is received. well see how i fix that wink

#15 2009-08-27 19:27:10

nLEyETn

pauldonnelly wrote:

Why use a panel?

I've just gotten used to having it there, and it's still my preferred place to launch applications.

methuselah wrote:

I don't use Compiz anymore..... but back when I did, I found the best thing to do was to build the xfce4-panel with the cario-patch for true transparency, and then use the compiz fusion "blur" plugin on it. It made it really nice looking in my opinion.

You can also use a nice ~/.gtkrc-2.0 script in your home folder to add a nice panel image if you don't want to use the cairo patch. (some people don't like the patch because it makes certain xfce4-panel plugins ugly or buggy..... doesn't matter to me, I never use those plugins)

That looks very nice smile  I think I may have seen the first screenshot before, it looks pretty familiar, though I wouldn't have been able to guess that's xfce4-panel (aside from the Xfce logo on it smile).  It looks very impressive.  I did install cairo-dock and am testing it at the moment, but if it doesn't work out I'll likely try xfce4-panel again.

ngoonee wrote:
nLEyETn wrote:

What specific bugs are you referring to? I haven't had much problems, and I run SVN.

When I ran it after 2.0 came out, It would crash on me quite a bit.  There were a couple other issues which I can't remember at the moment, but I think they had something to do with the animations not always responding very well.  I am trying 2.0.8.2 right now and it definitely seems better.  I had a crash or two, but those seem to be limited to one of the applets I was trying to configure.  Other than that responsiveness, and animations are handling very well.  There are so many options in the configuration; I'm still trying to tweak it to my taste.

dunc wrote:
eldragon wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Thanks for the info on LXPanel; I was considering that one too but only because bmpanel can't handle viewports.

Last edited by nLEyETn (2009-08-27 19:31:11)

#16 2009-08-27 19:59:58

methuselah

nLEyETn wrote:
methuselah wrote:

I don't use Compiz anymore..... but back when I did, I found the best thing to do was to build the xfce4-panel with the cario-patch for true transparency, and then use the compiz fusion "blur" plugin on it.

That looks very nice smile  I think I may have seen the first screenshot before, it looks pretty familiar, though I wouldn't have been able to guess that's xfce4-panel (aside from the Xfce logo on it smile).  It looks very impressive.  I did install cairo-dock and am testing it at the moment, but if it doesn't work out I'll likely try xfce4-panel again.

Thanks, you might have seen those pictures in the Artwork and Screenshots section, or maybe in the June newsletter for Arch: http://www.archlinux.org/static/newslet … #community

You might have even seen those pictures in my deviantART gallery: http://crimesaucer.deviantart.com/gallery/

Board footer