You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-13 17:53:25

jalu

SLiM - Cannot shut down from GNOME when using SLiM

I recently installed SLiM. To have it run at boot I used the inittab method described at this page.

After I log in with SLiM, GNOME starts with the following problems:
- External hard disks are not automatically mounted.
- System > Shut Down has disappeared, making it impossible for me to shut down directly from GNOME.
- Even opening a terminal and executing sudo shutdown now just brings me back to SLiM.

I never had these problems with GDM. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Last edited by jalu (2009-08-13 17:53:48)

#2 2009-08-13 21:24:36

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: SLiM - Cannot shut down from GNOME when using SLiM

Do you launch policykit together with gnome? If not, then do that.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2009-08-14 01:25:01

jalu

Thanks for the info, Mr.Elendig!

How do I launch PolicyKit with GNOME? I've searched around a bit, and came across an article that mentions editing PolicyKit.conf to manually allow certain privileges. Is that what I need to do, or is it simpler than that?

#4 2009-08-14 05:37:42

thieste

jalu wrote:

Thanks for the info, Mr.Elendig!

How do I launch PolicyKit with GNOME? I've searched around a bit, and came across an article that mentions editing PolicyKit.conf to manually allow certain privileges. Is that what I need to do, or is it simpler than that?

It is simpler smile

Open the .xinitrc File in your Home Directory and change

exec gnome-session

to

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

Last edited by thieste (2009-08-14 05:38:31)

#5 2009-08-14 09:58:44

jalu

thieste wrote:

That seems to have done it! Great sleuthing, thieste! I knew there had to be a simple solution. I don't mind doing things that are hard (I am using Arch!), but it seemed that editing PolicyKit.conf would have been needlessly complex. Hurray for Unix simplicity!

Just out of curiosity - why did I not need to run PolicyKit when I was using GDM? Also, is there a reason this is not mentioned in the wiki page about login managers?

Thanks for all of your help, Mr.Elendig and thieste! The Arch community always comes through.

#6 2009-08-15 00:33:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

jalu wrote:
thieste wrote:

That seems to have done it! Great sleuthing, thieste! I knew there had to be a simple solution. I don't mind doing things that are hard (I am using Arch!), but it seemed that editing PolicyKit.conf would have been needlessly complex. Hurray for Unix simplicity!

Just out of curiosity - why did I not need to run PolicyKit when I was using GDM? Also, is there a reason this is not mentioned in the wiki page about login managers?

Thanks for all of your help, Mr.Elendig and thieste! The Arch community always comes through.

Would like to know that also, I was wondering why my SLIM experiment had some problems...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2009-08-15 09:32:20

xsytry

jalu wrote:
thieste wrote:

Simple as that - gdm starts it automagically. I remember adding that to my .xinitrc a few months back, and I've been using slim for year and a half or so. I have no idea why it is not mentioned in the wiki, though.

Do, or do not. There is no try. [Yoda]

#8 2009-08-15 19:47:47

jalu

xsytry wrote:

Simple as that - gdm starts it automagically. I remember adding that to my .xinitrc a few months back, and I've been using slim for year and a half or so. I have no idea why it is not mentioned in the wiki, though.

I'd be happy to add it to the wiki. Does ck-launch-session apply to pretty much everything but GDM?

Last edited by jalu (2009-08-15 19:48:22)

#9 2009-08-15 19:58:39

mcmillan

jalu wrote:

I'd be happy to add it to the wiki. Does ck-launch-session apply to pretty much everything but GDM?

KDM starts it automatically too

#10 2009-08-17 03:43:49

jalu

mcmillan wrote:

KDM starts it automatically too

Cool, thanks. Does anybody know if exec ck-launch-session gnome-session is required for the daemon method as well? I'm trying to decide where this best fits in the article on login managers. Or should this be mentioned in the article on desktop environments?

#11 2009-08-28 15:25:10

markg85

Hi,

I had this exact same issue as well and found the solution in this thread (thanx to thieste) so i took the liberty to add it in the Gnome wiki on archlinux.org: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNO … gnome_menu feel free to improve it if needed.

Btw. on that wiki.. how do i combine those 2 expressions in grep while maintaining the same output?

#12 2009-08-28 18:43:10

grey

First of all thanks for the answer. I had the same issue and didn't even know it was a solveable problem - I assumed this is the way SLIM is supposed to work.

But I'm puzzled by something in the first post, namely that sudo shutdown isn't working. I works for me, even without ck-launch-session, and I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#13 2009-08-28 21:37:48

jalu

grey wrote:

First of all thanks for the answer. I had the same issue and didn't even know it was a solveable problem - I assumed this is the way SLIM is supposed to work.

But I'm puzzled by something in the first post, namely that sudo shutdown isn't working. I works for me, even without ck-launch-session, and I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't.

sudo shutdown did work for me. When I stated that I was unable to shut down directly from GNOME, I didn't count terminal emulators. Sorry for the ambiguity.

Board footer