You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-02 14:47:45

purple12

window transparency / opacity control...

This seems trivial, but following a recent (and long overdue) system upgrade, i find that i've lost a setting that is actually very useful: infinite, realtime control over the opacity of individual windows.  I used to have it mapped to ALT + MouseWheel and it was great. 
The desktop environment is GNOME with Compiz Fusion and Emerald Window Themes.

Any ideas? I've been poking around for hours to no avail.

thanx  neutral

#2 2009-10-02 16:01:41

pseup

Re: window transparency / opacity control...

Its a Compiz plugin. Enable CCSM -> Accessibility -> Opacity, Brightness and Saturation.

Default keybinds are as you mention.

#3 2009-10-05 22:49:54

purple12

pseup...THANKS!  i'll give this a try when I get home.  All I have now is ssh access.  heh..I tried launching X11-forwarded gnome-session from my office box ...mistake.  Small apps work great, but i don't think my work machine "packs the gear" to render my whole desktop.  owell.
thxbai

Last edited by purple12 (2009-10-06 05:27:14)

#4 2009-10-07 07:18:48

purple12

sad
ok...it's official: i'm annoyed.  from reading, i discovered that yes, compiz has migrated the old, convenient default opacity function (ALT + Wheel) from core to a plugin, and that opacity settings are lumped together in the "opacity, brightness and saturation" option in the Accessibily tab of the settings manager.  That's fine, but either this is the world's most couner-intuitive menu, or something is overriding my setting, because poke and prod as i might, there's seems to be nothing i can do in this menu to control the opacity of normal windows.  therefore...
Would some kind soul please hold my hand and walk me through the process of enabling and controlling the  relative opacity of normal windows, and of checkking to insure that i'm not overriding the new settings?

thanx very much...

#5 2009-10-08 02:46:22

purple12

SOLVED!!!  hmm
How wise of y'all to ignore me while i figured this out.  What i initially took to be your indifference to my pleas was actually your well-reasoned conviction that, if left to my own devices, i would eventually solve my n00b problem...and it WORKED!

...i just selected the "reload window manager" option from the fusion icon in the systray after making the requisite config changes in the settings manager.

YAY!!!

Board footer