You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-10 09:36:53

MetalheadGautham
Website

KDM: Logging off puts me in console mode

I have a weird problem with KDM.

Well, I run KDM from inittab using init 5. There is not conflicting entry of KDM inside rc.conf to cause an issue I had read about in this forum.

Now, ctrl+alt+backspace shortcut is enabled to restart X. When I do it, X restarts normally the way it should and I am back in KDM window.

But each time I use inbuilt logoff function in Xfce4.6 or KDE 4.3, I end up in console mode. Apparently I am still in init 5, because once I manually login and do a

sudo init 5

Nothing happens. But if I do

sudo init 3

I get a switching message.

After that I do a

sudo init 5 && exit

So that I can get back to login manager window.

Now, why does this happen ? I hate having to manually restart the login manager each time I use logout to switch to another user.

And yeah, is there any theme in KDM which shows a list of users I can login as ?

How do I ensure that only one instance of a user is logged in at a given moment and if I lock screen and go back to menu and login again, I go back to the same instance ?

#2 2009-12-14 10:41:35

MetalheadGautham
Website

Re: KDM: Logging off puts me in console mode

bump

#3 2009-12-14 16:25:12

ewaller
Administrator

Are you, by chance, using KMS with Intel Graphics?  If so, check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for signs that Xorg crashed when you logged out.

If you find such evidence, you might try (As a work around):

edit /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and find the block labeled :

[X-:*-Core]

and add a line that reads:

TerminateServer=true

This forces KDM to restart the Xorg server after you log out.  I think the original purpose of this option was to force the clean up of memory leaks, but it works well for this purpose.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2009-12-16 09:16:37

MetalheadGautham
Website

I am not using KMS.

Board footer