You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-06 04:30:23

mycorunner

Need Some Guidance...

Hi All,

I've messed with Linux many times in the past, but never really penetrated it's mysterious depths. I recently started with Arch Linux and I'm crazy about it. I have installed the base system, configured my hardware and WiFi, and started setting up a DE. This may seem like nothing but I'm new at this, and I've learned a ton just by doing it.

I have a general question. Now that I've done a lot of the essential things that need to be done, there are a million directions I can go in terms of building up a usable OS.

I need to figure out permissions and add my users (all two of them) to the right groups so that they are allowed to do simple things like use the sound, etc.

I need to finish setting up the DE (Xfce) so that when I log in it won't default to the wrong resolution.

I need to make the boot up go to a GUI or some sort of login screen.

I'm not asking how to do those things, I'm sure I'll figure it out. I need to know how to proceed. Is there an order I should do all of this in? Should I figure out how users and groups work? (I was surprised to find that there are already like 10 or so groups set up by default). I still feel a little lost in the directories and what each means and where things are supposed to be installed (although mostly it seems automatic).

Where do I go from here?! What order I do all these things in?!

Thank you SO much for any help!!

#2 2010-01-06 04:58:06

Chokkan

Re: Need Some Guidance...

When I started using Arch a few years ago, I just followed the beginners guide/installation guide almost to the letter. By using it, I found out what I could and couldn't do, and then went from there.

< Daenyth> tomkx: my girlfriend is linux
< Daenyth> srsly
< Daenyth> she loves the way I «make install»
< Daenyth> all her /dev entries are mode 7 for me

#3 2010-01-06 05:25:30

mycorunner

Finished both of those, they were very helpful.

#4 2010-01-06 07:18:42

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

The problem that comes is that at the point that you are done following the guides for the install you are at a point where it all comes down to how you want your specific system to be set up. Here is where you may have to start making choices for yourself since there is no one way to set it up that is better than others.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#5 2010-01-06 07:46:13

Chokkan

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Once you start actually using your install, you find out what bits and pieces are useful for you, and the way you're going to use it.

< Daenyth> tomkx: my girlfriend is linux
< Daenyth> srsly
< Daenyth> she loves the way I «make install»
< Daenyth> all her /dev entries are mode 7 for me

#6 2010-01-06 08:02:25

chpln

mycorunner wrote:

I need to figure out permissions and add my users (all two of them) to the right groups so that they are allowed to do simple things like use the sound,
etc.

I need to finish setting up the DE (Xfce) so that when I log in it won't default to the wrong resolution.

I need to make the boot up go to a GUI or some sort of login screen.

You can set these up in any order you like; none are dependant on any other.  All the necessary information will be in the wiki somewhere, these links might give you a head start.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … tup_groups -- The groups recommended in this section are quite reasonable.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg -- Should give you a fair idea of setting the correct resolution in X if it's not automatically detected, though in some cases it can require a bit of fiddling around too.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Add … on_startup -- To start a login manager during boot.  In essence it's 1 package and a couple of minor changes to a file, and you're done.

Nice to hear you're enjoying Arch and learning plenty in the process.  I'm sure you'll be settled in in no time. big_smile

#7 2010-01-06 15:50:47

mycorunner

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll keep charging forward. I feel better knowing I'm not doing anything terribly wrong.

Board footer